• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

notice periods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

notice periods

Hi,

I am a limited company contractor. Last month I got a contract signed via an agency. The end client has got a partner recruitment agency which is acting as a client of my agency.

Now when I signed the contract I was under the impression that I will be parking onsite at client location. The client location is about 1 hour drive from my home. But just before joining I was told by agency that contractors have offsite parking from where shuttle comes to client main office. They told me it will not add more than 20 min. to overall journey.

Long story short it turns out that the parking and coming to client's main office has added 30-45 minute each side to my journey in peak hours.

Due to above inconvenience I have decided to end the contract. I have a 4 week notice period vs 2 week agency's notice. I have asked them to show some flexibility as this is inconvenient to me. They are not being flexible and behaving quite rudely to me.

My question is can I ask the end client to terminate my contract from their side which will eventually end the contract from my agency's client?
    Do you guys see any potential issues if I ask the client to inform their partner agency to terminate my contract so that I may serve short or no notice period.

Thanks
    JP

Nope. You have no relationship with your client. Your contract is with the agent. TBH I can't see your client helping with anything if they know this is the reason. You are inconveniencing them as well remember so they aren't going to be best pleased even if you are a bit put out. You are more likely to get walked if you get them involved.

I'd read up on how to get your last months money out of the agent when they refuse to pay as well.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 6 July 2016, 20:09.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You could always have a go trying it on that your working day starts when you arrive at the client's P&R site. Similar for the end of day.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Nope. You have no relationship with your client. Your contract is with the agent. TBH I can't see your client helping with anything if they know this is the reason. You are inconveniencing them as well remember so they aren't going to be best pleased even if you are a bit put out. You are more likely to get walked if you get them involved.

I'd read up on how to get your last months money out of the agent when they refuse to pay as well.
        Client is already onboard, leave that to me.

Contract is with agency right, so they have to pay me whether I work or not until the contract terminates from their side.

Comment

Originally posted by johnplayer View Post
          Client is already onboard, leave that to me.

Contract is with agency right, so they have to pay me whether I work or not until the contract terminates from their side.
          Wrong. They pay you for the days you work and get a signed time sheet.

If the client is on board then go for it. What do you have to lose? Agree with the client the last day you work. You serve notice but can't turn up as the client doesn't want you, let your notice expire properly. Effective immediate termination and to the letter of the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
            You could always have a go trying it on that your working day starts when you arrive at the client's P&R site. Similar for the end of day.
            That's stupid.

It's up to you before you take the contract to work out travel arrangements.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Advise all parties that you are taking two weeks' holiday in two weeks' time. Then give four weeks' notice.

Comment

[PC]Call in sick[/PC]

Comment

I'm surprised to hear somebody willing to give up a contract and invoicing income and swap it for an unknown time period on the bench just because of a little extra travel and inconvenience.

It seems a little naive to me, not sure what sector your in but for me it seems quiet at the minute and I wouldn't jump ship unless I had something else to go to.

I'm in a contract which is bulltulip at the minute but I'm staying in it because it's money coming in and there is nothing else out there for me, I should also add I'm still spending 4 hours a day commuting too!

Suck it up I say

Comment

Originally posted by johnplayer View Post
                    Long story short it turns out that the parking and coming to client's main office has added 30-45 minute each side to my journey in peak hours.

Due to above inconvenience I have decided to end the contract.
                    Blimey, AYCOTBAB?

Are you cut out to be a bed wetter?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X