• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chilcott Enquiry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't support going to war on the simple reason I did not believe the 45 minute claim that he was a real danger, couldn't really be arsed about the WMDs as every fecker in the region has them, it was obvious the war was engineered.

Getting rid of Saddam was a good thing, he was a proper war criminal, Blair is not and people who think he is have lost perspective on the period. Likewise he is not to blame for the country going absolutely tonto after liberation, that was the Iraqi people.

I saw Claire Short on the TV but did not hear what she had to say, she voted for the war and on the eve of the vote wrote to every labour MP and asked them to vote with her. People still think she was against it.

I accept that the loss of a loved one in service is painful but I tire of hearing the families, they were not publically vocal about the horror of war when 17 year old Iraqi conscripts with 2 weeks training and a rusty AK47 were getting shot up by a professional army, I don't have any sympathy for them now in all honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I didn't support going to war on the simple reason I did not believe the 45 minute claim that he was a real danger, couldn't really be arsed about the WMDs as every fecker in the region has them, it was obvious the war was engineered.

Getting rid of Saddam was a good thing, he was a proper war criminal, Blair is not and people who think he is have lost perspective on the period. Likewise he is not to blame for the country going absolutely tonto after liberation, that was the Iraqi people.

I saw Claire Short on the TV but did not hear what she had to say, she voted for the war and on the eve of the vote wrote to every labour MP and asked them to vote with her. People still think she was against it.

I accept that the loss of a loved one in service is painful but I tire of hearing the families, they were not publically vocal about the horror of war when 17 year old Iraqi conscripts with 2 weeks training and a rusty AK47 were getting shot up by a professional army, I don't have any sympathy for them now in all honesty.
      I don't agree with your second paragraph. It's obvious that once you've taken over a country you or someone needs to continue governing it - and that means you need a plan... Bush and Blair didn't have one and that is utterly unforgiveable...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There has been a functioning government there for over a decade, too much has been made of the lack of planning. Clearly there was no planning but when there was a plan and it was stuck to it made little difference.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I don't agree with your second paragraph. It's obvious that once you've taken over a country you or someone needs to continue governing it - and that means you need a plan... Bush and Blair didn't have one and that is utterly unforgiveable...
          Agreed, one of the highlights of the report is that the lack of planning combined with the overnight dismantling of the police and army led directly to the breakdown of order in the country. It also makes the point that Blair was explicitly warned about this well before the decisions were made.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

There has been a functioning government there for over a decade, too much has been made of the lack of planning. Clearly there was no planning but when there was a plan and it was stuck to it made little difference.
            True there is a government there now - but the damage was done in the time in the year or so when there wasn't a government.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The period running up to the surge in 2007 was by far the worst period for terrorism and loss of life. The country had a government, army and police force for years by that point.

Comment

I am more annoyed about the "he would have been remembered as a great Prime Minister if it was not for the war" narrative that is getting punted out all day.

1. He allowed Gordon Brown to royally screw the country.
                2. He pulled the referendum on the European Constitution and allowed the EU to slip it in under a new treaty.

Man is complete fookwit.

Comment

The period running up to the surge in 2007 was by far the worst period for terrorism and loss of life. The country had a government, army and police force for years by that point.

Comment

"Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe..."

Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      "Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe..."

Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

Are you sure that is not from the Call Of Duty 4 narrative script?

Comment

Working...
                      X