• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Food prices plummet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Link here

Well, as the Bremainers insist that everything that has happened in the first half of the year was down to the vote that hadn't happened, I'll do the same.

Brexit causes food prices to plummet. Great news all round.
    Those figures were before GBP took a 20-30% drop.

Seeing as we import most of our produce from other countries, a lower currency rate will increase prices.

With regards to interest rates, Carney would have to be stupid to reduce them whilst the £ is so low. Lower interest rates = currency falling even more.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

CAP has always benefited the French farms, to the point that their Beef is cheaper for us to buy (by the truck load for the Army) that the from the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
        A moment's reflection would show that since the UK imports much of its food from Europe, Brexit on less than good terms will certianly raise the cost of food in the long run.
        If I have to read another one of your depressing negative comments I think I am going to put myself out of my misery.

The only reason we import is because the EU pay farmer's here to leave their fields empty and the importing of cheap milk from Europe was the cause of the Milk farmers recent protests

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
          If I have to read another one of your depressing negative comments I think I am going to put myself out of my misery.

The only reason we import is because the EU pay farmer's here to leave their fields empty and the importing of cheap milk from Europe was the cause of the Milk farmers recent protests
          You must have some kind of mental illness if the facts depress you.
          Britain was last self-sufficient in food in the first half of the 19th Century

Comment

You must have some kind of mental illness if the facts depress you.
            Britain was last self-sufficient in food in the first half of the 19th Century
            The facts are that the EU cause us most the issues, I am still awaiting someone giving me a positive reason for us to stay in

Comment

The facts are that the EU cause us most the issues, I am still awaiting someone giving me a positive reason for us to stay in
              I think it'll all become clear, even to you, in a few months/years.

Comment

REmember you are dealing with a thick cretinous troll. He deserves our pity.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Those figures were before GBP took a 20-30% drop.

Seeing as we import most of our produce from other countries, a lower currency rate will increase prices.

With regards to interest rates, Carney would have to be stupid to reduce them whilst the £ is so low. Lower interest rates = currency falling even more.
                  I know they were, that was the point of the thread!

Though where the 20-30% drop is? Looks like 10% at the moment, although I think we will hit 1.2 vs $.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    I know they were, that was the point of the thread!

Though where the 20-30% drop is? Looks like 10% at the moment, although I think we will hit 1.2 vs $.
                    Last year it was USD 1.72 and less than 10 years ago it was 2.

I'll leave the %-tage calculation to you as home exercise.

Comment

I think it'll all become clear, even to you, in a few months/years.
                      Ok in Months and years to come but Please can a remainer give me a positive reason for staying in the EU now, any reason that will only be available to us if we remain

Comment

Working...
                      X