• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Tesla Autopilot Death

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autos lock up the gearbox when you select park so that's kind of the same as the handbrake.

I don't know the 'touching the flap' reference, but I drove my Dad's Espace and had a nightmare time with the e-brake. I was trying to balance the clutch and throttle and release the brake as you would with a normal handbrake with the added complication that it was a LHD car. He told me afterwards that you just drive off and it automatically released.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You're all so prehistoric. The car will be controlled by an app, surely.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        You're all so prehistoric. The car will be controlled by an app, surely.
        So, you're getting it on on the front and as well as trying to film it on an IPhone, you have another, in your hand, trying to control the vehicles brake?

Call me a Luddite, but I can't see that working
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          So, you're getting it on on the front and as well as trying to film it on an IPhone, you have another, in your hand, trying to control the vehicles brake?

Call me a Luddite, but I can't see that working
          You think you'd have an audience for your smut video? Not exactly amputee midget p0rn is it?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

OK, to partially or mostly answer my own questions above. this article appears to suggest that an flap/button (electronic) handbrake cannot be engaged while the vehicle is in motion, even if you pull the flap (or, depending on the make, press the button):

2016-01-04 What is an electronic handbrake?

So it's reassuring to know that I won't be doing any vehicular pirouettes on the motorway by accidently engaging while at high speed!

(Well, reassuring only in so far as one trusts electronics and software, unless the handbrake disk also has a mechanical governor to prevent it engaging while in motion ..)
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              You think you'd have an audience for your smut video? Not exactly amputee midget p0rn is it?
              With a few tweaks, for sure, it has potential.

Website being worked on in Chennai and Crowdstarter page going up, as we speak.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Oh, posters on this PistonHead thread said that holding the flap/button for two seconds fully engages the hand brake and brings the car to a stop ASAP in the direction it was pointing when the breaking started.

Apparently the idea is for a backup breaking system if the main brakes fail, or for emergency use by a passenger if the driver is incapacitated somehow

(Two seconds sounds like an awfully long time to wait if the vehicle is at high speed, although perhaps it starts kicking in more gently earlier and builds up.)
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Maybe, but what happens if they park in a 1 in 2 hill to enjoy the view and want to sit in the car munching a sandwich or something?

Actuallty, the more I think about these flap hand brakes, the less I like them.

It would be interesting to know when it is (a) Safe and actually desirable to use them, if ever, and (b) When is it dangerous to use them!

I mean does one _ever_ have to use them, or are they there only for show and reassurance, or some bizarre situation one would never face in practice.
                  They put the handbrake on manually by pressing the button.

I'm adding functionality not removing it. If you get out of the car the handbrake goes on. If you want to turn it on or off you press the illuminated button.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Oh, posters on this PistonHead thread said that holding the flap/button for two seconds fully engages the hand brake and brings the car to a stop ASAP in the direction it was pointing when the breaking started.

Apparently the idea is for a backup breaking system if the main brakes fail, or for emergency use by a passenger if the driver is incapacitated somehow

(Two seconds sounds like an awfully long time to wait if the vehicle is at high speed, although perhaps it starts kicking in more gently earlier and builds up.)
                    Speed, speed limits and stopping distances - Brake the road safety charity

The distances above are based on a reaction time of 0.67 seconds, which assumes the driver is alert, concentrating and not impaired. Driving when tired, distracted or impaired significantly increases reaction times, so the thinking distances above should be regarded as minimums.
                    2 seconds at 60 mph is about right.

0.67seconds=18m thinking distance

56m= stopping distance is 3.0555' * 18m.

3.0555' * 0.67 = 2.0472 seonds.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

BTW if anyone is in mind to order one, use this referral code feel free, £750 off your car

http://ts.la/mark8506
                      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                      X