• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FTSE100 recovery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Well that's ok.

We voted to not be ruled by a central european government not to stop people running companies how they see fit.
    Fair enough but you should have been honest about it.
    Where Remain's slogan was "Better off in Europe", making the economic case, yours should have been "Poor but free".
    Not "we'll give you some more money for the NHS - or maybe not" and "We'll reduce EU immigration - or maybe not" followed by your leaders silence which tells us what they're really thinking is "Fooooooook me what have we done!".

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
      Fair enough but you should have been honest about it.
      Where Remain's slogan was "Better off in Europe", making the economic case, yours should have been "Poor but free".
      Not "we'll give you some more money for the NHS - or maybe not" and "We'll reduce EU immigration - or maybe not" followed by your leaders silence which tells us what they're really thinking is "Fooooooook me what have we done!".
      I thought you were just a bit sour. I didn't realise you were also a thicko.

If I remember correctly, the Remain slogan was "Your firstborn will be eaten by jackals, you will develop piles, the Martians will launch their long-planned invasion and someone will knock over your bin".

It's a bit easier for a government in power to say "If we win we will do x", vs a disparate group of free-thinkers saying "We agree we want out, but we disagree on some of the details of how every single area of future policy should be formulated".
      Remain was basically the Tory government and Leave was more cross-party. It wasn't a vote for a new government who could set out a manifesto.

Still, you lost. Suck it up and get on with it you cretin.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylogin View Post
        ...[Leave] ... disagree on some of the details ...

Thanks for the belly laugh

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Recovered to pre-BREXIT levels

The humanity!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.e...client=safari#
          BBC reporting through gritted teeth. Impartial reporting

Comment

The pound devalued by 10% after brexit, so it is an illusion to believe it's recovered. The pound will not go back to pre-Brexit levels.

The British population are 10% worse off, there will be an inflation shock, and then life will continue with everyone being slightly poorer.

As Jim Cramer said, the British population voted for a pay cut. But that's what everyone was told and that exactly what they voted for, not a big deal.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
              Well the market gyrations were never really the issue. British firms (and British people who are better educated) can and will thrive - sadly that is likely to be by moving abroad.

Perhaps you should write to the MD of this firm and tell him to "play the game" and "MTFU".

For one UK firm, Brexit vote means expansion abroad, not at home | Reuters
              Don't keep falling for the propaganda - this is simply not going to happen !! Just like the stock market hasn't nosedived, the pound hasn't nosedived, house prices aren't blowning up etc etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                the pound hasn't nosedived, house prices aren't blowning up etc etc etc
                Oh come on, I'm a Leaver, but these are not accurate statements. Sterling has taken a historic fall, given the short period since the vote. It may be stabilising temporarily, but it's going to fall much further when the shock feeds through into the real economy. No one (sensible) was saying that there wouldn't be short-term impact on markets or the real economy. The vote was for the long-term. The FTSE 100, as a whole, has always been protected to some degree because 60% of earnings are overseas, so depreciating Sterling is a boost for some companies and is effectively a shock absorber for the markets (less so for the real economy or the UK-oriented market of the FTSE 250). However, other sectors (unfortunately those that I'm heavily invested in ) are going to continue to get hammered in the coming months before they eventually recover, as the emerging status of financial passporting, consumer confidence, trade etc. becomes clearer.

Comment

Interestingly London House prices probably won't be affected.

Brexit to see London's housing market fueled by 'foreign money pouring in' | London Evening Standard
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Oh come on, I'm a Leaver, but these are not accurate statements. Sterling has taken a historic fall, given the short period since the vote. It may be stabilising temporarily, but it's going to fall much further when the shock feeds through into the real economy. No one (sensible) was saying that there wouldn't be short-term impact on markets or the real economy. The vote was for the long-term. The FTSE 100, as a whole, has always been protected to some degree because 60% of earnings are overseas, so depreciating Sterling is a boost for some companies and is effectively a shock absorber for the markets (less so for the real economy or the UK-oriented market of the FTSE 250). However, other sectors (unfortunately those that I'm heavily invested in ) are going to continue to get hammered in the coming months before they eventually recover, as the emerging status of financial passporting, consumer confidence, trade etc. becomes clearer.
                    The FTSE had deeper drops in Dec last year and mid Feb this year than after the result last week. Fact.

Not saying there won't be more instability but CWs assertion that saying that companies my be moving abroad as a result is not based on fact and not substantiated.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      Don't keep falling for the propaganda - this is simply not going to happen !! Just like the stock market hasn't nosedived, the pound hasn't nosedived, house prices aren't blowning up etc etc etc

And to think we used to have an economy that allowed even cretins like you to put bread on the table.

Comment

Working...
                      X