• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official "There will be no Brexit" Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Yawn.......

And after the next GE we have a UKIP PM. Not because people agree with them but because MPs ignored the will of the people.
    WHS, and don't forget Corbyn is a closet Brexiter. I know, I know, he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning a general election.

Well if he stays leader of Labour, he has, especially if the Tories are seen to be delaying the EU exit.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      WHS, and don't forget Corbyn is a closet Brexiter. I know, I know, he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning a general election.

Well if he stays leader of Labour, he has, especially if the Tories are seen to be delaying the EU exit.
      I do think there needs to be a GE. It would be interesting in the Lib Dems were the only party in England with a clear policy position to remain, and FPTP split the various flavours of Brexit parties. I'd vote for them and I hate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        . I'd vote for them and I hate them.
        Aye. Me too. I think a lot of the Remainers want to avert the disaster caused by the thickos and would vote for Lib Dems for that reason alone. Probably end up a hung parliament - what then?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          MPs have to get reelected. The question is how many of them would be at risk if they refused to go along with the public's decision? Here our safe Tory MP was pro-remain, but the vote was 50.3% leave. Hardly decisive and not likely to cost her her seat if she voted against the public.
          That's the thing: the majority in favour of Leave was so tiny that it would become irrelevant in a General Election where there are many other issues to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
            Aye. Me too. I think a lot of the Remainers want to avert the disaster caused by the thickos and would vote for Lib Dems for that reason alone. Probably end up a hung parliament - what then?
            If Labour emerges from its mess with a pro-Remain policy, the smart move would be to treat this an a national emergency and enter an election pact with Lib Dems, Greens, SNP and PC. If Tories and UKIP can manage a similar pact, it would be an interesting 2 way fight.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              That's the thing: the majority in favour of Leave was so tiny that it would become irrelevant in a General Election where there are many other issues to be considered.
              .....and also a lot of leave voters are actually half hearted they went in the polling booth and decided on the spur of the moment.

It would be a very close run thing I reckon.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                Agree. If article 50 is defeated, it will be a storm in a teacup.
                Considering the statistics showed the older generation voted for Brexit, they are hardly going to be rioting with their Zimmer frames.
                Explain the process to me by which Article 50 gets "defeated". It's a decision for the Executive, not Parliament, as Hamface confirmed from the despatch box yesterday. What happens afterwards is a decision for Parliament, but we're then out, regardless, after two years (without the unanimous consent to delay from the other 27 member states).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Explain the process to me by which Article 50 gets "defeated". It's a decision for the Executive, not Parliament, as Hamface confirmed from the despatch box yesterday. What happens afterwards is a decision for Parliament, but we're then out, regardless, after two years (without the unanimous consent to delay from the other 27 member states).
                  2 possible routes for Section 50 not being activated (or whatever the verb is)

1. Government chooses not too
                  2. Parliament takes the power from government though an Act

Either of these could happen with or without a GE.

Comment

I'm no lawyer but this suggests you're wrong:

https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2016...pensable-role/

Comment

Right now there are a fair few un-elected toss pots in the EU that want this to play out. But they are not the ones that have to get European Beer, Wine and cars INTO England. Not to mention cheese and artisan foods of relatively high values.

When the right people start to make their presence felt we will see a more balanced less nationalistic view.

If Article 50 finally gets stabbed it will be under a pre-arranged and cleverly orchestrated deal that shows why it simply won't be worth pulling the plug and the damage it will cause both sides.
                      The vested interests will boom and life will continue as nothing happened apart from in those places that will feel that they were screwed.

Comment

Working...
                      X