• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Isn't it time to acknowledge the referendum has been a complete catastrophe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    Why would anyone rational invest money here now when:
    1) they are not sure they have access to the single market?
    2) they are not sure that the country will stick together?
    3) there seems to be a lack of political leadership?

Let see shall we? I expect investment to decline fairly sharply.
    As the BDI has stated trade should continue without tariff issues I take that as an indicator of what will come about.
    Last edited by GB9; 27 June 2016, 13:55.

Comment

Why would anyone rational invest money here now when:
      1) they are not sure they have access to the single market?
      2) they are not sure that the country will stick together?
      3) there seems to be a lack of political leadership?

Let see shall we? I expect investment to decline fairly sharply.
      For god sake man Stop ******* moaning, it's happened, strap a pair on and get on with it.

We can either sit and wallow in it or we can make the best of the situation and move forward, change breeds opportunity always has always will, take a risk

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
        For god sake man Stop ******* moaning, it's happened, strap a pair on and get on with it.

We can either sit and wallow in it or we can make the best of the situation and move forward, change breeds opportunity always has always will, take a risk
        I'm analysing the economic situation - what risks would you like me to take?
        The sort of risks that would make me end up as a Support Monkey?

Comment

It's a brave sentiment but staying inside the EU would cause democratic uproar. We'll need to think more creatively.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            As the BDI has stated trade should continue without tariff issues I take that as an indicator of what will come about.
            I'm not talking about trade I'm talking about FDI. Those are 2 separate things.
            It's a no brainer for trade to continue, long term investments are a different issue altogether.
            That's why there are now problems with investors who were previously interested in saving the Port Talbot mills.

Comment

I'm analysing the economic situation - what risks would you like me to take?
              The sort of risks that would make me end up as a Support Monkey?
              I've analysed my economic situation since Thursday and all my Stocks and share ISA and SIPP are up, the house prices are likely to drop which makes the chance of my 2 boys being able to buy their own house and move out almost a reality, the interest rate is going to be rock bottom for many a year and the client I work for exports more than they import, and I don't holiday in the states or Europe, I'm struggling to see a downside

Comment

I've analysed my economic situation since Thursday and all my Stocks and share ISA and SIPP are up, the house prices are likely to drop which makes the chance of my 2 boys being able to buy their own house and move out almost a reality, the interest rate is going to be rock bottom for many a year and the client I work for exports more than they import, and I don't holiday in the states or Europe, I'm struggling to see a downside
                Perhaps you need to think about the bigger picture and not just self-interest?
                How sure are you that interest rates are going to be "rock bottom" if the pound keeps falling and inflation goes up?
                Does the country as a whole import more than it exports and what effect will a low pound have on prices?
                What effect will that have on the trade balance?

Comment

Absolutely, but look at it from sasgu CretinWatcher's standpoint.

Before long he won't be able to breeze through customs in EU countries without having to flash his passport. It's a complete disaster!
                  Last edited by OwlHoot; 27 June 2016, 14:12.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Before long won't be able to breeze through customs in EU countries without having to flash his passport. It's an absolute disaster!
                    At 950 a day, absolutely.
                    And if I don't earn and pay my taxes how am I going to keep 5 chav families in Sunderland in booze and plasma TVs?

You see, no man is an island.
                    Last edited by CretinWatcher; 27 June 2016, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Before long he won't be able to breeze through customs in EU countries without having to flash his passport. It's a complete disaster!
                      Do you know the difference between customs control and passport control? Because it is going to be important.

Comment

Working...
                      X