• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheney endorses simulated drowning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear

Originally posted by AtW
    vista - you seem to misunderstand one thing: if it was you who would be subjected to simulated drawning and other "non-tortures" then we all (at least I am) be just fine with it.

No I guess it's you that's missing the point, torture is bad? Of course, should democratic states practise it? Probably not but don't try to convince me that it doesn't work because clearly it does on one or many levels or else it would have stopped centuries ago (how many people are still looking for the edge of the planet), observable outcomes always beat opinion / political points of view.

Comment

I think you should be tortured - just like everyone who agrees with torture, it is only fair that you taste your own medicine.

Comment

I thought torture is the quest for expressing hurt on some aggressor or an enemy that can’t be seen and quickly eliminated

One animals torment is another’s entertainment –
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          I think they should have brought in a bucket with water and suggest to put Cheney's head into water for couple of minutes, after all it is not torture and most certainly being 100% sure that Cheney is not a terrorist will benefit people all around the world.
          BUT according to you and the other girls on this forum torture doesnt work?

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by vista
            No I guess it's you that's missing the point, torture is bad? Of course, should democratic states practise it? Probably not but don't try to convince me that it doesn't work because clearly it does on one or many levels or else it would have stopped centuries ago (how many people are still looking for the edge of the planet), observable outcomes always beat opinion / political points of view.
            Stop it, your voice of reason is wasted here!

Mailman

Comment

Oops

Originally posted by Mailman
              Stop it, your voice of reason is wasted here!

Mailman

I know but its fun here ;-)

Comment

"I think you should be tortured - just like everyone who agrees with torture, it is only fair that you taste your own medicine."

I've had to read enough of your posts for a lifetime AtW. Please stop, make it stop, I'll tell you anything. Just make it stop!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                  "I think you should be tortured - just like everyone who agrees with torture, it is only fair that you taste your own medicine."

I've had to read enough of your posts for a lifetime AtW. Please stop, make it stop, I'll tell you anything. Just make it stop!
                  I say we torture AtW until he stops

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by vista
                    War = works very well which is why we don't live in a NAZI state and speak german.
                    Religion = works very well for some, personal comfort and an excellent framework for doing good in society
                    Tax = the basis of a civilised society

Let me rephrase the question "Can anyone think of anything that humans have been doing since the year dot that doesn't work?"
                    Don't make me laugh.. From the above I take it that anything that stands the test of time "works"? How would you feel if your girlfriend/wife was raped? Would you tell her to stop whinging as rape has been around forever, so it clearly "works" in a civilised society? As you may be aware there is such a thing as law and justice. This is where disctinctions are (meant to be) made between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour. The Geneva convention is a part of this legislation. How can you justify unlawful behaviour by saying that it works for you. I'll point again to my previous example: the war on Iraq is partly a result of a false confession at Guantanomo Bay extracted through the use of torture. Is the concept that people will bend the truth to get away from physical or mental torture difficult to grasp for you? Torture does not work. If it did, it would be a widely accepted means of criminal investigation (which it was in the Middle Ages), yet any "confession" (true or false) made under torture will not stand in court in civilised nations throughout the world.

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest
                      Don't make me laugh.. From the above I take it that anything that stands the test of time "works"? How would you feel if your girlfriend/wife was raped? Would you tell her to stop whinging as rape has been around forever, so it clearly "works" in a civilised society?
                      Actually you have it around the wrong way. Through the test of time rape has become regarded as a disgusting crime and as a result of that we have all sorts of laws to deal with those who carry out this type of crime.

the war on Iraq is partly a result of a false confession at Guantanomo Bay extracted through the use of torture.
                      This is a new one, one Ive not seen trotted out before. Thank god you are around to clear things up and now we know the invasion of Iraq is because of gitmo!

Torture does not work.
                      Farken hell, I think Gwedo Forkes would disagree with you!

If it did, it would be a widely accepted means of criminal investigation (which it was in the Middle Ages), yet any "confession" (true or false) made under torture will not stand in court in civilised nations throughout the world.
                      Actually you may be surprised by the instances of torture, or the lack thereof, in the middle ages.

NEXT!

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                      X