• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit and Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit and Contracting

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I cannot be arsed to search for this. So help me out here.

If we Brexit, will IT contractors be barred from entering the EU and contract? like we can do now.

Can the EU pass laws banning us from doing that?

That is the only thing that will help me make up my mind.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

You will only be paid in Angela Merkel T-shirts after brexit

Comment

Yes.

Or at least you might need to apply for a work permit and have a client willing to sponsor you and prove that no local person can do the job.

The EU doesn't have to pass any law. Kippers in effect will have given up the right of you and I to work in 31 other countries. Thanks Kippers!
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Yes.

Or at least you might need to apply for a work permit and have a client willing to sponsor you and prove that no local person can do the job.

The EU doesn't have to pass any law. Kippers in effect will have given up the right of you and I to work in 31 other countries. Thanks Kippers!
        Will the UK close the doors to EU contractors?
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          I am sure this has been discussed before, but I cannot be arsed to search for this. So help me out here.

If we Brexit, will IT contractors be barred from entering the EU and contract? like we can do now.

If we Brexit we will have to agree to free movement of individuals in return for a free trade agreement that we pay for in the style of Norway or Switzerland. We won't notice any difference except the UK will no longer have a say in EU decision-making.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

No, not for a period of two years (as a minimum). Afterwards, it depends on the model adopted. For example, some Brexit supporters would argue for EEA during an interim period (of several years), which would accept free movement. In the long term, the argument from Leave is to reduce EU migration, which does imply being outside of the single market and hence free movement, but not zero movement (visas allow movement for work). Whether this view would change is debatable. Bottom line, it isn't an immediate issue, but it could be an issue long-term. So if this the decisive factor for you, and you plan to benefit from free movement in the long-term, it's probably safer to vote Remain. However, in the short-term, nothing will change and, in the medium term, the outcome could range from no change, to more administration, to significant change.

Comment

What I'd expect:

1) Decisions will be made for you on a country by country basis. Just like someone outside the EU coming to the UK. Freedom of movement is for members, not applicants.

2) Working visa application. Wonder how long that'll take to process.

3) And worst, you'll need to be qualified to a certain level of language proficiency to gain working rights for that country.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                If we Brexit we will have to agree to free movement of individuals in return for a free trade agreement that we pay for in the style of Norway or Switzerland. We won't notice any difference except the UK will no longer have a say in EU decision-making.
                I don't think that'll happen. Th brexit death cry has been for means tested migration. Denmark has already threatened to do the same in return of the exitUK does this.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  What I'd expect:

1) Decisions will be made for you on a country by country basis. Just like someone outside the EU coming to the UK. Freedom of movement is for members, not applicants.

2) Working visa application. Wonder how long that'll take to process.

3) And worst, you'll need to be qualified to a certain level of language proficiency to gain working rights for that country.
                  Language proficiency is often not relevant for highly skilled roles in STEM fields due to the shortage of applicants.

It will bugger up contracting abroad though e.g. you won't be able to do it.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    You will only be paid in Angela Merkel T-shirts after brexit
                    Thank goodness, it isn't her used knickers they are paid in

Comment

Working...
                    X