• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Planning to vote Stay? On the fence? Read this

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    You need to think wider than one argument at a time... 10% unemployment is going to be a walk in the park in coming decades... I work in Cloud architecture and I can more or less wipe out the need for service desks, first, second and third line support just by using tools like RightScale, Puppet or Chef properly... companies like IBM and HP are still talking about cloud with a massive service wrapper around it but the truth is 98% their sorry asses can be lost for ever. Thats not out to india, thats why the **** do I want someone watching a dashboard when AWS cloud formation can just say its not working properly terminate and respawn the service in minutes...

Most of IT can now be automated completely and your average team of 200 will end up as no more than 10. Sod outsourcing ruining your career I can do it from an office in the west country. For those of you sat wondering why its not going that way where you are working is because you are already surrounded by tomorrows losers. Somewhere else there is a team doing better things faster than you can and they will eat your lunch soon.

Count the trucks rumpling around on the M11 and then think about the fact that they are 5 -10 years nearer autonomous trucks than cars now think about the services that support the wetware driving them today.

Uber are in talks to buy S-classes that are autonomous. More people screwed.
    I haven't heard a good "computers put men out of work" argument since the 1980s. It wasn't true then either.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I haven't heard a good "computers put men out of work" argument since the 1980s. It wasn't true then either.
      Tell that to the print setters....

Comment

In case it may interest any remaining fence sitters, or (extremely unlikely I know) Remain voters, a distinguished industrial engineer Prof Stephen Bush has written an excellent book explaining just why our membership of the EU has been unfavourable for us in the past three decades and has a detailed blueprint for economic revival should we leave.

Britain's Referendum Decision and its Effects Paperback; Stephen Bush; 2016-05-09

It costs £7 on Amazon (the link above), and will probably also interest confirmed Brexiters. Well worth ordering IMHO, and my copy is on its way.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          My software used to remove 1 person from each oil platform it was deployed on. If that's not an argument, nothing is..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            My software used to remove 1 person from each oil platform it was deployed on. If that's not an argument, nothing is..
            And some of these people changed speciality or started a new company. I highly doubt they were out of work for long.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              Tell that to the print setters....
              Actually my Grandfather was a print setter and it was him that used to go on about "computers putting men out of work" in the 80s. Used to moan about immigrants taking British jobs too. Never seemed to have a problem finding work though.

If there were any truth to this we'd have 99% unemployment by now.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                And some of these people changed speciality or started a new company. I highly doubt they were out of work for long.
                That wasn't the question. The question was "computers put men out of work". There was a demonstration that they do.

The fact different jobs appear as others disappear is additional information outside the scope of the original question
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

3D printing will be a complete game changer to the world when it reaches maturity.

20 years from now you will leave a machine in a field with a truck load of materials and it will build a house for you.

Robotics, AI and processing power are just about to converge where it really will be mass unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    3D printing will be a complete game changer to the world when it reaches maturity.

20 years from now you will leave a machine in a field with a truck load of materials and it will build a house for you.

Robotics, AI and processing power are just about to converge where it really will be mass unemployment.
                    We can all just sit and relax while machines do the work for us.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

You can do that with migrants now (and a bung to the planning commission)
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X