• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    Nope i can confirm I could register to vote as soon as i came to the country and had a place to live.
    Not for the referendum if you're not a British citizen, and from the sounds of it you're not.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      Not for the referendum if you're not a British citizen, and from the sounds of it you're not.
      http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/__data/...er-to-vote.pdf
      European Union countries
      Austria
      Belgium
      Bulgaria
      Croatia
      Cyprus
      Czech Republic
      Denmark
      Estonia
      Finland
      France
      Germany
      Greece
      Hungary
      Ireland
      Italy
      Latvia
      Lithuania
      Luxemburg
      Malta
      Netherlands
      Poland
      Portugal
      Romania
      Slovakia
      Slovenia
      Spain
      Sweden
      United Kingdom

Comment

You cannot vote in the EU Referendum if you are not basically a British Citizen. If you come from the EU you can vote in council elections only, not General elections and certainly not the referendum. You are mistaken.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Nope i can confirm I could register to vote as soon as i came to the country and had a place to live.
          You're wrong. The franchise is quite clear. Read about it here.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            You're wrong. The franchise is quite clear. Read about it here.
            I'm confused now.

Comment

I'm confused now.
              No need to be. The Referendum Act dictates the franchise for the EU referendum. Unless you're a British, Irish or Commonwealth Citizen (in essence), you cannot vote in the EU referendum. As Lockhouse indicated, you're perfectly entitled to vote in local council elections, but you also couldn't vote in a UK Parliamentary election. This is pretty standard throughout Europe. For example, you should be able to vote in parliamentary elections in your own country, but not local elections, where the franchise is typically based on residence.

Comment

What Mr Pole is saying is that you can falsely register as a British citizen on the electoral register. That is true. Nobody asks for your passport.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  What Mr Pole is saying is that you can falsely register as a British citizen on the electoral register. That is true. Nobody asks for your passport.
                  Providing false information is a (serious) criminal offense (up to 6 months in prison and an unlimited fine IIRC).

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    ps. I think it's more likely that they provided the correct information, but are only eligible to vote in local council elections. In other words, if they attempted to vote in the EU referendum, they'd be turned away, because they wouldn't be on the list of franchised voters.

Comment

It should be everybody directly affected, which is everyone living here long term (and probably not the loyal Scots in Germany). No taxation without representation!
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X