• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

whats managable commute time for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Study is next to the bedroom which is quite large. Is your bedroom the size of a football field or are you just a fat lazy bastard?
    I like to shower and have a wee first, both can be accomplished at once. Then some brekkie, open all the blinds, take my lithium, then to office.

Comment

I used to do Braintree to Telford 2 -3 times a week before I moved to Shropshire.
      Then 4 years later for a while I was doing Gobowen to Liverpool St. (London not Lime) via Marylebone 2 days a week using the now defunct Wrexham & Shropshire service which was great value, hence why defunct I guess!

Rest of my commute was/is as long as it took to climb the stairs to my loft conversion bolt hole so approx 30 seconds

Now when I am not WFH it is 30 minutes driving and another 10-30 minutes queuing depending on when I leave home at the bloody roundabout at the end of the A483 to get into Chester Business park. When the kids are off school the difference at that roundabout is amazing!
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        +1 A day or 2 WFH a week = great, i did WFH full time for a 3 month contract a while back, drove me bonkers, so much so that i refused the extension offer for an office based role that (when factoring in commute costs) means I was getting less in my sky rocket.
        That's mad mental. You should try finding your inner calm.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm driving an hour and fifty minutes each way to the current gig...Getting me down a bit now to be fair but I had been on the bench for four months so took the work as I needed it.....Hopefully something closer will come up in the next few months

Comment

You don't know you're born!

Contractors need to be ... tough!

I leave my house at 06:00 and arrive at my desk in the City at 08:10

Prompt!

Every day!!

Then I catch the 18:00 and arrive back at 20:00

Prompt!

Every day!!

When I go to the Essex office, it's three-and-a-half hours each way.

Working from home? You must be some loser programmer/techie.

Or maybe a BA!

Or simply not essential

Project Managers : have to be there.

Pressing the flesh...
            Last edited by Cirrus; 27 April 2016, 21:26.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post

Prompt!

Every day!!

Prompt!

Every day!!
              You sound like some sort of premie trying to brown nose their way up a career ladder no thanks

Comment

Prompt!

Every day!!

Prompt!

Every day!!

Or maybe a BA!

Or simply not essential

Pressing the flesh...
                So basically no life whatsoever. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
                  WTF!! Do you live in a bedsit? Actually do you live in a wardrobe?
                  Usain Bolt couldn't get from my bedroom to the door of the bedroom in 5 seconds.
                  Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Study is next to the bedroom which is quite large. Is your bedroom the size of a football field or are you just a fat lazy bastard?
                  Feck you are stupid twunt.

Comment

Prompt!

Every day!!

Prompt!

Every day!!

Or maybe a BA!

Or simply not essential

Pressing the flesh...
                    I'm a PM. I work at home fairly often, and the project gets delivered. Are you doing some low end stuff? No shame in it - brass is brass!

Comment

Prompt!

Every day!!

Prompt!

Every day!!

Or maybe a BA!

Or simply not essential

Pressing the flesh...
                      Wow you must really create a lot of tulip for yourself...

I have a PM like you at the moment. They are pulling 12 hour days while I fall out of bed at 9 wander out the door and across my court yard to my office and deliver a days work in about 2 hours then wander over to the house where I spend the afternoon rebutting her needs in lieu of what actually needs to be done...

It's not time or presence on site that delivers a project. It's experience...

Comment

Working...
                      X