• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain would go to the ‘back of the queue' for US trade deals post-Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Then we will have to get better and work harder.

M Caine
    Yes we could resurrect British Leyland and take on the Germans with the new and improved Austin Allegro.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      You can work as hard as you want, but if there are tariffs set on your products then you won't go far selling into important markets.

The only way EU can prevent anybody else leaving EU is by making example of the first country that does it. It could have been Greece, but they had enough sense to avoid it, there is no way EU or USA will do quick deals with UK in the event of leaving - that just won't happen as a matter of principle and basic strategy.

Also, God forbid having ANY Govt in UK without judicial oversight from Europe, politicians in this country are not fit to run the country even with oversight, nevermind without.

For that reason I vote to STAY.
      So basically you're saying the UK has to roll over and take it. Appeasement never works and it's certainly not part of the British character. This is one of the many reasons I'm for leave.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        So basically you're saying the UK has to roll over and take it. Appeasement never works and it's certainly not part of the British character. This is one of the many reasons I'm for leave.
        Fair enough but the Brexit camp are sounding unbelievable with their claims that there'll be no economic effect.
        Perhaps they should nail their colours to the mast and use the slogan "Poorer but freer". Then let the people decide if that's what they want.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Yes we could resurrect British Leyland and take on the Germans with the new and improved Austin Allegro.
          So your argument is that we are tulip without Europe.

I would say, times have changed.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

You don't seem to have much faith in your fellow countrymen.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              You can work as hard as you want, but if there are tariffs set on your products then you won't go far selling into important markets.

The only way EU can prevent anybody else leaving EU is by making example of the first country that does it. It could have been Greece, but they had enough sense to avoid it, there is no way EU or USA will do quick deals with UK in the event of leaving - that just won't happen as a matter of principle and basic strategy.

Also, God forbid having ANY Govt in UK without judicial oversight from Europe, politicians in this country are not fit to run the country even with oversight, nevermind without.

For that reason I vote to STAY.
              Your prerogative. I'm voting LEAVE. I can't stand the status quo.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

You don't seem to have much faith in your fellow countrymen.
                Britains strength is the knowledge industries but these are not mass employers. We haven't been good at manufacturing for decades. What manufacturing we have is intimately connected to Europe.
                What do you suppose will happen, are we suddenly going to develop the likes of Audi, Mercedes and Bmw?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Fair enough but the Brexit camp are sounding unbelievable with their claims that there'll be no economic effect.
                  Perhaps they should nail their colours to the mast and use the slogan "Poorer but freer". Then let the people decide if that's what they want.
                  Not even necessarily poorer. The Eurozone is hardly booming. You and I have no real idea of the outcome. There are plenty of signs which way the EU is headed. How many times were we told to you the Euro? The 2008 crash wasn't pleasant, but would have been a whole lot worse had we adopted the Euro.

What I do know is the UK has been a relatively successful and stable nation for many decades. I have far more faith in the place than I do the EU.

Comment

Britains strength is the knowledge industries but these are not mass employers. We haven't been good at manufacturing for decades. What manufacturing we have is intimately connected to Europe.
                    What do you suppose will happen, are we suddenly going to develop the likes of Audi, Mercedes and Bmw?
                    Concentrate on these strengths and push for a more balanced economy if needs be. We are still massively attractive to overseas talent; lets make use of our virtues.

Comment

Concentrate on these strengths and push for a more balanced economy if needs be. We are still massively attractive to overseas talent; lets make use of our virtues.
                      Too many generalities coming from both sides.

I want to know:

What will happen to the car making Renaissance that has been spearheaded by primarily the Japanese in the last few decades.
                      What will happen to the factories and supply chains that make the wings for the Airbus.
                      How will this affect the last large world class manufacturing companies we have: BA and RR.
                      What have we got to trade with India and china
                      What happens to the 45% of our exports that goes to Europe.
                      How does this affect the City.
                      Etc.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X