• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain would go to the ‘back of the queue' for US trade deals post-Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    He's probably not thought of that.
    No, he'll keep on digging, not realising ....
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Yeah, UK manufacturers, especially cars, would get super favourable treatment in Germany and France
      They are not UK owned manufactures though. He was discussing the BMW owned Mini plant. Oddly, Minis, Rolls-Royce, Aston and the like are built here for a specific reason in that they are British brands. They know full well that flogging German built Rollers wouldn't work. So, I suggest that their German owners would try their utmost to come to some agreement with the EU (read German Government) post Brexit. Perhaps you know better, eh.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        They are not UK owned manufactures though. He was discussing the BMW owned Mini plant. Oddly, Minis, Rolls-Royce, Aston and the like are built here for a specific reason in that they are British brands. They know full well that flogging German built Rollers wouldn't work. So, I suggest that their German owners would try their utmost to come to some agreement with the EU (read German Government) post Brexit. Perhaps you know better, eh.

FFS you really reek of wishful thinking.
        They're German, nothing if not thorough.
        I'm sure they would do a cost benefit analysis and do whatever made them the most money/was strategically better in the long run.
        And it may turn out that forcing up the price of the volume British built competition in Europe suits them better.
        If junior luxury brands like Merc and BMW are not price sensitive, I'm certain the people who buy Aston and Rolls are even less so, so they could continue to make those (very low volume anyway) brands in the UK.
        And I doubt people will stop buying Mini if they are built in Germany.

In any case AFAIK, coming out of the EU we would automatically have a 10% tariff on UK cars, until such time as it was negotiated away/downwards. I doubt Tata or Toyota will be chuffed about that.

Here's some homework reading, from the Society of Motor Manufacturers:

http://www.smmt.co.uk/wp-content/upl...-EU-Report.pdf
        Last edited by sasguru; 26 April 2016, 13:38.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Er, although the cars are built in the UK, many parts are sourced or built abroad, for example on the Phantom, The aluminium extrusions that are used to construct the aluminium spaceframe are produced in Norway, shaped and machined in Denmark and finally hand-welded in Germany. The Ghost is based on the BMW 7 series and shares 20% of its parts with that car including the iDrive system...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I'm sure they would do a cost benefit analysis and do whatever made them the most money/was strategically better in the long run.
            And it may turn out that forcing up the price of the volume British built competition in Europe suits them better.
            If junior luxury brands like Merc and BMW are not price sensitive, I'm certain the people who buy Aston and Rolls are even less so, so they could continue to make those (very low volume anyway) brands in the UK.
            I quite like the look of it:

Comment

In any case AFAIK, coming out of the EU we would automatically have a 10% tariff on UK cars, until such time as it was negotiated away/downwards. I doubt Tata or Toyota will be chuffed about that.

Here's some homework reading, from the Society of Motor Manufacturers:

http://www.smmt.co.uk/wp-content/upl...-EU-Report.pdf
              Here's some homework reading for you:

FT - Toyota pledges to stay in UK even if country takes Brexit

But, of course, you know best.

Comment

On the other hand:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ositive-impacy

Britain must stay in the EU, says Nissan boss - Telegraph

But of course you hope for the best.
                It's not rocket science, just common sense, that Brexit is not good for the car industry.
                Stick to the uncontrolled immigration angle, that makes more sense
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

On the other hand:

Britain must stay in the EU, says Nissan boss - Telegraph

But of course you hope for the best.
                  It's not rocket science, just common sense, that Brexit is not good for the car industry.
                  Stick to the uncontrolled immigration angle, that makes more sense
                  So to be fair to both sides, in the event of Brexit, some manufacturing will leave and some will stay.

Comment

They are not UK owned manufactures though. He was discussing the BMW owned Mini plant. Oddly, Minis, Rolls-Royce, Aston and the like are built here for a specific reason in that they are British brands.
                    Aston is losing money, Rolls-Royce isn't making much money (it was vanity purchase), Minis - if they don't get continued investment then their production will stop or get moved elsewhere, most likely to Eastern Europe which got enough brains to want to be part of big EU market.

Comment

I doubt Tata or Toyota will be chuffed about that.
                      You were the one that mentioned Toyota.

Comment

Working...
                      X