• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain would go to the ‘back of the queue' for US trade deals post-Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    What does being 'American' mean ? Go to war every few years ?

When Bush and Blair invaded Iraq, I dont think they realised that they set in motion a chain of events that would cause havoc around the world.

Thank god for Obama we are not witnessing more such 'American' events.

There is a reason Corbyn is now in charge of Labour party, Blair and his cronies will not make it for decades.

Going to war every few years is clearly a product of US politics movement away from 'americanism'.

Is the chain of event's basically hillary & barry razing north africa & nurturing ISIS & general unrest in Syria?

I'd take bush over Obama any day.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      Going to war every few years is clearly a product of US politics movement away from 'americanism'.

Is the chain of event's basically hillary & barry razing north africa & nurturing ISIS & general unrest in Syria?

I'd take bush over Obama any day.
      Bollox. ISIS leadership is basically ex-Iraqi army officers seething with resentment after the Iraq war.
      What was the point of Bush and Blair toppling Saddam, who was no threat to the West, but a nasty local stongman who kept a lid on things? That created a vacuum and the puppet Iraqi govt. put in place was and is ineffective.
      Same mistake was almost made with Assad, although the Russians did the right thing there for a change.
      Obama could possibly have done more, but he's not responsible for the root of the problem.

Oh yeah removing Gaddafi has obviously improved Libya, not.
      Another nasty but effective strongman. That's possible Obama's fault, although more Hamface's.

Quite astonishing that nothing is learnt over time.
      Last edited by sasguru; 25 April 2016, 13:23.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Point 2 This is about being British - which is why Atw is fixated on wealth - because he has no vested historical or emotional interest in Britain as a sovereign nation - his sole interest is how much money he can make.

Comment

Before something better can happen there needs to be enough of a serious crisis to make it worth the change and not going back. So if we crash the country and get back all the lovely houses in London because the nasty little foreigners lose their legal money laundering factory then so be it. Lets see what happens once there are too many houses to reposes and no one in the UK is buying WAG/Audi/BMW/Mercedes cars any more...

It really wont take too long to see what the EU is made of in reality.

Screw the US. They never did us any favours anyway and most of them are too dumb to find the EU on a map with help.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Oh yeah removing Gaddafi has obviously improved Libya, not.
            Another nasty but effective strongman.
            Yeah, had a nice three year mega-rate contract lined up there, free accom. in Palm City, free grub, free flight a month out. Few weeks later it kicked off. FCO website then said Libya is a safe country and largely crime free. Now look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              So if we crash the country and get back all the lovely houses in London because the nasty little foreigners lose their legal money laundering factory then so be it.
              The problem is that those people were buying properties worth tens of millions of pounds, even if they drop down 90% they will still be unaffordable for vast majority of UK population - those mansions (often Grade listed) are very expensive to maintain too.

Bear in mind that those people who bought these houses did not spend their last money on them and they most certainly brought into UK x10 times more cash to keep in banks, thus supporting UK banking system - that money will be pulled out for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                The problem is that those people were buying properties worth tens of millions of pounds, even if they drop down 90% they will still be unaffordable for vast majority of UK population - those mansions (often Grade listed) are very expensive to maintain too.
                There will still be plenty of bankers who can afford them. Those living in Chelsea will move to Kensington. Wandsworth to Chelsea. Surbiton to Wandsworth. etc.

House prices across the country will become better.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  There will still be plenty of bankers who can afford them. Those living in Chelsea will move to Kensington. Wandsworth to Chelsea. Surbiton to Wandsworth. etc. House prices across the country will become better.
                  I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Bear in mind that those people who bought these houses did not spend their last money on them and they most certainly brought into UK x10 times more cash to keep in banks, thus supporting UK banking system - that money will be pulled out for sure.
                    I don't think anyone knows how this will play out but I wouldn't think the foreign investment will stick around very long at all after the tulip starts flying. After all thats why they liked London. Its been a safe stable environment to let their hair down and shop. If we see anywhere like the predicted drops in wealth for the UK population then all hell will break loose and I certainly wouldn't want to be the one driving around London in a 100k sports car.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      I don't think anyone knows how this will play out
                      But is it going to be better? I can't see how it will be.

Comment

Working...
                      X