• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the comeback of german militarism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some good Nazi bashing action real men surely play RTCW:ET

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
      For some good Nazi bashing action real men surely play RTCW:ET
      Kids' game.

But great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
        Kids' game.

But great fun.
        Surprisingly tactical if you have a good team you can shout at on comms

Comment

I prefer tactical turn based WW2 scenarios - Panzer General 2 is awesome as maps look very good, lots and lots of units and maps. I even managed to win the Defend the Reich scenario against all odds

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            I prefer tactical turn based WW2 scenarios - Panzer General 2 is awesome as maps look very good, lots and lots of units and maps. I even managed to win the Defend the Reich scenario against all odds
            In which case, Steel Panthers is the game for you. Seriously, it makes Panzer General 2 look like a crock. There are thousands of unit types, hundreds of scenarios, dozens of campaigns.

Comment

PZ2 is not crock - it is classic! PG3 is a crock of steaming threaded though

I've downloaded free version - is enhanced CD one much better from graphical point of view, maybe high res units? The maps on screenshots look tulipe

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                PZ2 is not crock - it is classic! PG3 is a crock of steaming threaded though

I've downloaded free version - is enhanced CD one much better from graphical point of view, maybe high res units? The maps on screenshots look tulipe
                We'll agree to differ there. To be fair I've only played PG1 and PG3, both of which I found to be too simplistic and easy to win even on hard settings.

I don't know about that version as I've not used the Windows hack. This is the one I use and it's plenty good enough for me: http://www.fileplanet.com/142677/140...Full-Free-Game.

The difference with the paid for version is the addition of the mega-campaigns. Enormous linked and scripted campaigns, very in-depth. They're good, but the free version is plenty good enough too.

The game engine is based on the old boardgame classic, Advanced Squad Leader.

Comment

Advanced Squad Leader.
                  ZOMGWFT?LOLOLOLOLOL

That brings back some memories !

I remember playing the very first module "Beyond Valor" (sic) at a RPG event in Basildon way back in the mists of time.

I had this unit of Finnish soldiers attempting to attack a Russian town, and me and the other guy were trying to work out the room clearance order using suppresive fire and opportune attack orders, or something like that. We spent 6 hours skimming the rules only to find the event venue was closing down. In the last hour of closing, we both scribbled detailed maps of current troop deployments, so we could exhange phone numbers, and continue at a later date.

Sadly, I lost my notes (for 19 years) and only found them a few months ago when I was clearing the attic.

I wonder if I can track him down on Friends Reunited ?
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                    We'll agree to differ there.
                    Ok, I just tried it - looks crap comparing to PG, but from brief 45 mins that I could play it became clear that the game is pretty ****ing amazing indeed. Much harder than PG as well - those ruskies in Kurst just would not line up and die

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                      Ok, I just tried it - looks crap comparing to PG, but from brief 45 mins that I could play it became clear that the game is pretty ****ing amazing indeed. Much harder than PG as well - those ruskies in Kurst just would not line up and die
                      Glad you enjoyed it, Alexei. It really is the best WWII tactical level game there is. As you say, the graphics are nothing to write home about but it is the gameplay that counts, and it has that in spades.

I like playing Winter War scenarios and taking a few plucky Finns up against the Red Army hordes. For a real challenge, try assaulting a Japanese held island with US marines.

BGG, what one Earth does ZOMGWFT mean? I know what you mean about ASL though, although I think you took it to extremes there. If you're sensible with which optional rules you use you can run through a satisfying game fairly quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X