• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B for younger contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Made me curious so I looked it up:

Becoming an Airline Pilot | Pilot Training | Latest Pilot Jobs |

Seems quite well paid to me ...

[Deleted a link as it didn't work]
    Well paid compared to a dustman or someone in McDonalds. A tulipe contract project manager can easily top line over £100K a year without having to do anything mentally challenging.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
      not bad for a flying bus driver.

long haul they get a few days off between flights , and get to pile drive the trolly dollies in the designated hotels.

i did airport work for 7 years.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        you too then ?

must be where you picked the taste up for Ryanair.

Comment

Supply and demand is the problem - millions of people want to be pilots, but not millions of people want to work in IT.
          If you want to fly, get a job in IT, and fly a small plane in your spare time like I do.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
            Supply and demand is the problem - millions of people want to be pilots, but not millions of people want to work in IT.
            If you want to fly, get a job in IT, and fly a small plane in your spare time like I do.
            How much does it cost to:

1. get a PPL nowadays and
            2. How can you afford to run a plane? Do you own it outright or have a share?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              How much does it cost to:

1. get a PPL nowadays and
              2. How can you afford to run a plane? Do you own it outright or have a share?
              1. Around £8K in my case, cos I was a slow learner. It is a NPPL for microlights (3-axis microlights that are virtually the same as small planes). I learned at Blackbushe airport two years ago with these guys:
              Home | Clearprop! Microlight School

2. I own a 1/5 share in the plane, which I bought for £3500 last year. I pay £35/month hangerage and insurance, and £40/hour wet to fly it (including fuel). It cruises at 85 knots (95mph) and I can take a passenger. Range of 4 hours.
              Based at a farm airstrip in Hampshire.
              I've been everywhere in it: Lands end, Scotland (Ben Nevis), Dover, and Deauville in France.

Comment

1. Around £8K in my case, cos I was a slow learner. It is a NPPL for microlights (3-axis microlights that are virtually the same as small planes). I learned at Blackbushe airport two years ago with these guys:

2. I own a 1/5 share in the plane, which I bought for £3500 last year. I pay £35/month hangerage and insurance, and £40/hour wet to fly it (including fuel). It cruises at 85 knots (95mph) and I can take a passenger. Range of 4 hours.
                I've been everywhere in it: Lands end, Scotland (Ben Nevis), Dover, and Deauville in France.
                Thanks for the response - looks reasonably affordable.
                How do you feel flying in bad weather? Are you even allowed to? Do you kak your pants?:
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Not very scalable - therefore I'm out.
                  "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                  Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Don't you need something on top of the bog standard ppl to cross the sea?

Comment

A pilot I know is earning well - after the first few years where training is VERY expensive - but only by being willing to relocate to UAE.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X