• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Penalise them

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    Why not encourage the replacemnet of older cars
    These cars will be sold to 3rd world then where they will continue to pollute, and you will have a new car, so actually more cars will be driving.

The solution is to increase tax on petrol to make people switch to diesel - this would cut CO2 pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
      But surely when the car is parked its emitting zero emissions... or am i missing something?
      No, you're not missing anything. It's a LibDoom council. I live in Richmond and they are a pigging nightmare. I'm thinking of buying a 4x4 because the roads are so tulip. One of my neighbours is selling his mini because he keeps losing it in potholes.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
        Why dont we also tax those with old cars?

After all, old cars produce more co2 than new cars!

Mailman

Oh no they don’t. Newer cars use catalytic converters, ie they convert Co1 to Co2 . Carbon monoxide is NOT a greenhouse gas. The order cars produce C01 but little C02. C01 is on poisonous in a confined space. It was the green lobby who lobbied for catalytic converters that now cause the green house gas.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If the Bleeding heart lib's really want to make a difference, how about trying to reduce the emissions on busses and lorries? Surely they contribute to the problem as much as cars. I know there are a couple of hydrogen run busses (or something to that effect) but why not make their whole fleet more efficient?

With a tax incentive for business that run these fleets a major emission reduction could start to take effect. Carbon Credits do not seem to be having the desired effects other than just passing the buck.

If they started to pave the way for a reduction in emissions I’m sure the idea would catch on rather than just imposing a tax and pissing off the general public.

"Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            These cars will be sold to 3rd world then where they will continue to pollute, and you will have a new car, so actually more cars will be driving.

The solution is to increase tax on petrol to make people switch to diesel - this would cut CO2 pretty well.
            In France they gave a tax rabate for buying a new car if you scrapped an old one.

Less pollution, more car sales.

Comment

"In France they gave a tax rabate for buying a new car if you scrapped an old one"

Whereas in the UK you have to pay to get it scrapped and so it ends its days rusting away at the end of a street and it's left to the council tax payers to pick up the tab for it.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I have not one but two gas guzzling 4x4's...nice to know by doing so I piss so many people off
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

People seem to forget that lucury cars are at the top of the tree for emissions from private cars.

Jags, Mercs and BMW's produce more CO2 than a Landrover Discovery. And some of them have bigger foot prints.

Diesel is also must more emissions efficient than petrol.
                  Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

I keep hearing that one gets charged for scrapping a car. They took away my old van some months back for free AND they came and collected it.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X