• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do people use age as a yardstick?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do people use age as a yardstick?

How many contracts have you been to where people are judging you by your age rather than your work?

This happened at my last place as really arsed me off. I used to get the "i dont expect you to understand" or "your only a lad so".

Now I'm only 23 and when people find out you are a contractor they are either a) happy for you or b) annoyed that they didnt think of it.

Lately I'm finding more b than a. Anyone here faced people thinking they were rubbish becuase of thier age.

I use a stick. Its about a yard or nearly a yard long.

hth.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well, what kind of work experience can one have at 23? Threaded excluded obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        How many contracts have you been to where people are judging you by your age rather than your work?

This happened at my last place as really arsed me off. I used to get the "i dont expect you to understand" or "your only a lad so".

Now I'm only 23 and when people find out you are a contractor they are either a) happy for you or b) annoyed that they didnt think of it.

Lately I'm finding more b than a. Anyone here faced people thinking they were rubbish becuase of thier age.
        Let's see. Three years without a contract, and several hundred repetitions of the following conversation

Agent: " Well Mr. Hattra, from your CV you are a perfect fit for this contract - can I put you forward for it?"

Me: "Yes, of course - I'm really interested"

Agent: "OK, then. Oh, by the way, one last question - when were you born?"

Me: "1955"

Click! brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What do you think?</bitter mode>
        Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

A lawsuit is really in order.

Comment

Already got one of those, ATW (a neighbour from hell problem) - I wouldn't recommend it as a way of passing the time.

Unfortunately, age descrimination only became illegal a few weeks ago. Now they ask things like "When did your career in IT start?"

Comment

I noticed more aganecies on Jobserve want to know what they call the 'date of your career start'... rather than age. Says it all really.

More meaningless, expensive legislation with no beneficial effect whatsoever.
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Who deals with age discrimination problems - I feel the urge to start reporting a few of these agencies

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                  I noticed more aganecies on Jobserve want to know what they call the 'date of your career start'... rather than age. Says it all really.
                  I am pretty sure that courts will consider that exactly the same as asking for DOB - people should start reporting them for investigation.

Comment

Well it's exactly the same field as 'Date of Birth' - they have simply changed the name to 'Career Start Date'.

Hoaxley are one of the agencies.
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X