• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do people use age as a yardstick?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobhope
    Third!! When did this happen? What was before ezboard? I've been here long enough to remember both pF (sic) and Janek.
    I though it was the fourth!

I'm sure that there was something before ezboard, it was all so long ago I can't remenber. And then there was the incident where somebody trashed the database, we all had to create out accounts again and all our counters went down to zero or something like that.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
      Re: age discrimination in IT:

So, up to about 30 you're too young. After 40, too old. So you have about 10 years of being the ideal age. Anyone here been for hair implants, cosmetic enhancements then?
      Just lie on your CV. Miss off all the dates of school/uni and leave off the first 10 years of your career - do you use any of those skills anymore? (does anyone want a Coral 66 programmer?)

What are they going to do when they find out?

They can't turn around and say "if we'd known, we wouldn't have employed you" as they would be admitting to the discrimination.

And legally, you haven't commited a fraudulent act if you could have obtained the same result by being honest. If someone offers you a job on the basis of half your skills, they could hardly argue that they wouldn't have offered it on the basis of all of them. As long as you don't miss them off to hide something nergative (other than your age!) you'll be OK.

IME ageism in contractor recruitment starts/ends at the CV filtering part. Once you get in front of the interviewer your real age is unimportant, the age that you act may not be.

tim

Comment

Do people use age as a yardstick?

Only age 36
        Only the mediocre are ever at their best

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
          Ovbiously not enough. I still cant understand this threaded stuff. Maybe i'm just not part of the cool gang.
          Allow me to enlighten you. Now search on his posts and be amazed at all that he has achieved.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Obviously my career now is in Siebel.

Date of career start: 1999. No problem.
            Very good expat, and probably a good way to play the game. But the agents will start to get clever and will ask "how many incarnations of the CUK forum can you remember?", and you will suddenly fall into their clever trap.

Comment

Working...
            X