• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the dividend tax hike take the heat off IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Oh, so presumably yet more secret EU tax harmonisation!
    Corp tax should have been harmonised long time ago to provide level playing field, OR paid based on profits derived in each EU member based on their corp tax rate just like it happens with VAT for exports now.

Comment

I'd still be contracting.

£500-600/day after dividend tax > £50-60k pa PAYE
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        As it stands there is still a reasonably large financial incentive to ensuring your contracts are operating outside. As HMRC see the bounty from the divs >£5000 they will almost certainly start to ratchet up the tax % or decrease the £5K allowance. Even then if you have large T&S expenses there is benefit being outside.
        I'm not convinced that there will be a decrease in the £5k threshold - the argument for it being there in the first place is that it provides the "hard working squeezed middle" to earn their dividend money legitimately without paying tax, whereas the "tax motivated PSC operator (onshore)" will be penalised. I wouldn't be surprised to see a higher threshold for certain sectors either, for example, the rich elderly who have shares outside an ISA or a pension plan.

If the tax rates rise significantly then there will be a push towards "equality" between being paid PAYE and being baid using the dividend route. I think it would be a brave chancellor who raises the rate significantly - because as soon as there is no incentive to plan the cashflow of the business, the risk of their being a bigger impact on the flexible economy rises (bearing in mind that the same number of people work in the public sector as those who are self-employed / contract / freelance / any other word to describe the way that we work). If contractors are going to end up being treated as employees for tax purposes, the nuclear option starts when those same contractors demand rights to compensate for that.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Give it 3 years. Anyone who has a single person ltd who gets work via agencies will be shafted. (IMVHO)
        If the new tests for public sector "work" (and who knows what definition HMRC will put on that word!) when they are introduced, then there is every likelihood that the same tests will be rolled out to every contract in the same way. For a long time, OTS and the IR35 Forum have made it clear to government that their combined expert opinion is that changing the basis of assessment from the contractor to the client is a very bad thing and would impact the market significantly. HMRC / HMG are using this as a test to prove them all wrong - and if there is a measure of success then this will be extended.

The silver lining on that is that the CBI and big business have always argued against that change, so as well as other lobbying organisations, there will be a much louder message of disapproval should there be an attempt to roll it out.

The next few years are going to be a challenge for us all - but there have been some successes over the past year, and so we just need to keep arguing our corner.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Dividend hike is just a start, it will go up in the future.

Germany's dividend tax got flat rate of 25%.

But how many Germans are directors of their own 1 man company's paying themselves in dividends?

That's the crux of the issue. While there were only a few thousands contractors using LTD companies ( mainly the well-off ) it was not an issue when hundreds of thousands of people started doing it, it becomes a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            But how many Germans are directors of their own 1 man company's paying themselves in dividends?

That's the crux of the issue. While there were only a few thousands contractors using LTD companies ( mainly the well-off ) it was not an issue when hundreds of thousands of people started doing it, it becomes a problem.
            I don't want to be drawn into any FLC discussion but Germany has sensible rules for freelance workers that the UK just doesn't have.

Remember that we have to work through an umbrella or limited company due to the law regarding agency workers dating back to the mid 1970s
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
              Don't know.

But I do know that Germans like setting up companies in UK because it's cheap and quick: Germany requires pretty high minimum capital which would put off most people.

Comment

Don't know.

But I do know that Germans like setting up companies in UK because it's cheap and quick: Germany requires pretty high minimum capital which would put off most people.
                IIRC, the German level is about 50000EUR - which is why Germany has very low levels of tax-motivated incorporation.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  IIRC, the German level is about 50000EUR - which is why Germany has very low levels of tax-motivated incorporation.
                  25K EUR I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    That's one way to do it, much better than shafting with much higher rate dividend tax: 25% flat in Germany and 38% in UK, and one can be sure that UK rate will go up, most likely to match income tax rates.

Comment

Dividend hike is just a start, it will go up in the future.

Germany's dividend tax got flat rate of 25%.
                      It is the same in most of Scandinavia.

Comment

Working...
                      X