• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TulipGraph

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Absolutely agree, but bizarrely some UI "experts" (such as the one you posted a link to the other week) insist that fixed page lengths are the Devil's work, and infinite scroll is far better.
    That wasn't what Troy Hunt was saying in It’s 2016 already, how are websites still screwing up these user experiences?! though. He was objecting to the practice sites have of deliberately splitting articles across multiple pages when they would easily fit on one page. Slate is a bugger for this, as is Harper's - that's why, if I post something from such sources, I always try to find the way to bypass it, such as ?single=1 in https://harpers.org/archive/1956/03/subways-are-for-sleeping/?single=1 and .single before .html in http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/07/roko_s_basilisk_the_most_terrifying_thought_experi ment_of_all_time.single.html.

The only reason they do this is to increase ad impressions. It's annoying, particularly with a short piece where the second page contains only a two-sentence paragraph

Comment

For a long time now the comments in The Telegraph were better than the articles. Now it appears that all comments have been removed. What with that and the new format I'll avoid for now.

I use Breitbart and The Guardian for news these days. I've boycotted the BBC in its entirety.

I don't agree with The Guardian's politics but some of their in-depth articles are good and they generally allow comments.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

BBC is dumbed down "flabby Liberalism". Meh.
        Torygraph is now ruined.
        DailyFail is...
        Guardian is mostly about how great immigration is and how Climate Change is everything. Double meh.

Based on that, I don't look at any "newspapers" in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          BBC is dumbed down "flabby Liberalism". Meh.
          Torygraph is now ruined.
          DailyFail is...
          Guardian is mostly about how great immigration is and how Climate Change is everything. Double meh.

Based on that, I don't look at any "newspapers" in the UK.
          Based on that, I'd expect you to read the Sun.

I do,........ the page 3.

Comment

Working...
          X