• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Won't somebody think of the children?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    > 500K in London apparently.
    Unless you have inherited a property or paid off your mortgage, there is no way in hell that one salary, even a reasonably highly paid one, will be enough to start a family hence the OP's point is crap.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Wash your ears out then - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...y-HPI-2016.pdf

£190275 is the national average. Only London is over £300k.
      Cheers FAQ I must have mis-heard.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        I have an easy solution, we have all witnessed how higher earners slowly and gradually over a number of years, perhaps a decade or two buy properties in cheaper more financially accessible areas (of cities) and slowly the area comes up

well what about, bring that to the modern age, gather together a group of like minded people, with the means to buy property in accessible areas, then together, pick an area, and then, all at the same time, buy all the available property there

voila, overnight a poor area becomes a nice area

I am surprised this is not executed in an organized planned way

Milan.
        There's just one snag with that cunning plan Baldri, sorry, .. Milan.

It's unusual to find a whole neighbourhood where every property is on sale at the same time.

And if you did it would likely be down the road from a melted down nuclear reactor, or by the sea and being washed away twenty feet a year by winter storms.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          There's just one snag with that cunning plan Baldri, sorry, .. Milan.

It's unusual to find a whole neighbourhood where every property is on sale at the same time.

And if you did it would likely be down the road from a melted down nuclear reactor, or by the sea and being washed away twenty feet a year by winter storms.
          or be a drug riddled hole up north where the council has given up.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            AS someone who knows several early years teachers, they often DO have to take the role of surrogate parents of incoming reception children (age 4/5). Forget children having rudimentary reading/writing skills when they arrive, many cannot speak or interact with each other, cannot use the toilet, etc.

I agree this is pretty bad but you have to treat the symptoms as well as the cause.

This is total crap. You are a contractor. Your wife was presumably a high-earning professional. When both of you are on the median wage - or lower as many obviously are - it is much much harder. I know people who do make this sacrifice under those circumstances and it really IS a sacrifice.

Us on CUK do not generally know what it's like to be a regular person. That's not a good or a bad thing, but it is useful to be aware of.
            our experience is the same. Various primary school teachers have told us similar stories and Mrs V has minded a few (unfortunately it tends to be the none professional parents that tend to have the kids who aren't potty trained etc).

Keep reminding yourself if you are on £43K you are well off in real terms. That's why they tax us higher. Most of you see that far in the rear view mirror. Can you buy a 2 bed flat in a reasonable area down south with that?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Keep reminding yourself if you are on £43K you are well off in real terms. That's why they tax us higher. Most of you see that far in the rear view mirror. Can you buy a 2 bed flat in a reasonable area down south with that?
              Probably Nowhere near London, but you did say reasonable area

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                What goes around comes around, the kids will leave them in the care of strangers 24 hours a day once they reach their dotage.

I remember hearing about a couple who looked after his father. He could not eat properly - so they made him a trough to eat out of.

Their child was playing with wood in the garden. They asked him what he was making. "A trough - so I can feed you both when you get old".

Quite.....

Comment

Working...
                X