• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Kwikfit reliable? (I am doing an MOT with them)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Had a good job done by Kwikfir earlier this month, new tyre had gone flat so took to them as easier to get to than my usual garage. Leaking around the edge of some old and corroding alloys. Patched them all up for a decent price and was happy with the service. I guess it depends who you get on the day, some of them will be honest and will sort you out, some won't.
    Barstewards charged me £10 over the usual for a puncture on my Merc by doing a nitrogen fill on the tyre (planes, F1 cars perhaps but not a road car )

That was the last time I used them
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I popped in for tail light bulb, wanted £1.50, ok, but they come in packs of two, ok, £3.00, I'll take a spare, minimum charge £5.00, getting a bit silly now, then guy says they have to fit, £15.00 charge, so £20.00, then VAT on top, fecking £24.00 for a £1.50 bulb.

I said thanks and walked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
        I am more worried about the fact that they can steal parts from my car!
        How am i to check it afterwards??
        If your car looks anything like one of these, there's a possibility some parts might have gone missing....

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Barstewards charged me £10 over the usual for a puncture on my Merc by doing a nitrogen fill on the tyre (planes, F1 cars perhaps but not a road car )

That was the last time I used them
          I'm sure they gave you that special 78% nitrogen/21% oxygen blend.

Comment

Tyres

As an aside, I have found them to be an absolute rip off for tyres. I can recommend tyres on the drive dot com - competitive pricing and zero hassle.

Comment

The facts about nitrogen filled tyres

Nitrogen is used in Formula 1 racing, aviation tyres, military vehicles, NASCAR and heavy construction vehicles. True
              Nitrogen maintains tyre pressure 3 to 4 times longer than air-filled tyres and disperses heat more effectively resulting in better fuel economy. bolloxs
              Nitrogen delivers longer tread life due to less heat generation. bolloxs
              Nitrogen inflated tyres deliver optimum handling characteristics for longer as pressure is more likely to be maintained at the correct level. bolloxs
              Nitrogen also slows the chemical ageing of the tyre’s rubber components resulting in fewer tyre failures. bolloxs
              Nitrogen results in improved performance, increased safety and lower maintenance. double bolloxs
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                The facts about nitrogen filled tyres

Nitrogen is used in Formula 1 racing, aviation tyres, military vehicles, NASCAR and heavy construction vehicles. True
                Nitrogen maintains tyre pressure 3 to 4 times longer than air-filled tyres and disperses heat more effectively resulting in better fuel economy. bolloxs
                Nitrogen delivers longer tread life due to less heat generation. bolloxs
                Nitrogen inflated tyres deliver optimum handling characteristics for longer as pressure is more likely to be maintained at the correct level. bolloxs
                Nitrogen also slows the chemical ageing of the tyre’s rubber components resulting in fewer tyre failures. bolloxs
                Nitrogen results in improved performance, increased safety and lower maintenance. double bolloxs
                Why don't they fill them with helium or hydrogen, i.e. lighter than air to make the tyres and therefore the car lighter and more fuel efficient.

In fact, could fill all the voids in the car with it and it would almost float.

I sometimes wonder whether I'm an actual genius (or not one).

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Why don't they fill them with helium or hydrogen, i.e. lighter than air to make the tyres and therefore the car lighter and more fuel efficient.

In fact, could fill all the voids in the car with it and it would almost float.

I sometimes wonder whether I'm an actual genius (or not one).
                  Because if you have something which is "lighter" then...
                  1. You need more of it at a higher pressure to fill the same space While maintaining structural integrity.
                  2. By containing smaller molecules it is more likely to leak, so valves and all materials need to be constructed of thicker/denser materials with better seals.
                  3. The tyres are the most important part of keeping a car stuck to the road, you do not want to reduce their road-stickiness if you want the car to accelerate, brake or go round corners effectively.
                  4. Using hydrogen would be interesting cause when you had a blow out it would be explosive.
                  5. Probably the biggest improvement in economy and safety would be achieved by replacing the nut behind the wheel.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I take my 12 year old ford to Apple MOTs in Slough every year if it has a failed bulb they change it free of charge and it costs me £40 all in.

Sometimes they say the tires are close to being worn out and I call etyres.

Sorry Kwik fit & co are not as trustworthy IMHO.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X