• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paxman tax to be killed in Budget

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder how many of the Mail's columnists work on a freelance basis through their own PSCs, and whether that also constitutes a "wheeze", as they put it?

I also wonder why the Mail feels entitled to take such a high moral tone about taxation when its profits in this country are routed through a company in Bermuda, thereby avoiding the irksome necessity of paying tax in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      ^ This

^ Not this

Government departments already now how to differentiate between a IR35 caught and non IR35 caught resource and all of the contracts I have had working directly with the departments in question have been carefully defined by _them_ to make sure that there was no way of anyone being unaware of their tax liability.

Working on a specific single project with defined deliverables
      Working on a professional day rate where its down to the supplier to fix problems at their cost
      Right to substitute
      Demands that you supply your own equipment...

I have even seen offers of huge fixed sum payments with milestones at monthly intervals... No mention of time or day rates

The government departments are not going to be the ones that get screwed over by a policy that is there to catch five people in several thousand. The departments jumped to the treasuries tune the last time and after it knackered them because the clever resources wandered off elsewhere, they quickly made sure that they caught on and learned.
      You have a lot more faith in government departments than I have.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        You have a lot more faith in government departments than I have.
        If they wanted death for the legitimate contractor all they had to do was refuse to change the capita one contract and then come after all of the people on them. They didn't do that. instead they worked with the IPSec and got the contract amended to be more friendly to small suppliers.

I'm not saying everyone is safe just that the same people have always been under threat. If a contractor is sat doing tightly controlled work under supervision then they have always been inside ir35

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          Public sector contractors - of course - that who it's supposed to target.

What's not clear is whether the plan is designed to affect all 'employers' of contractors, or whether it is really a Treasury edict to all public sector organisations not to employ contractors unless paid PAYE, which doesn't need a change in employment law - you just tell public sector shops what to do.
          Obviously he wants a wider net than just Paxman or public contractors.

Comment

At the moment you have to produce a contract review to operate outside IR35 in the public sector. My guess is after Wednesday certain positions, perhaps 'office holders' and the like, will no longer have this option. Existing Treasury fines of 5 times contract rate will still apply.

Departments will probably redefine their contract role definitions to fit the new rules. Remember this is purely a Treasury thing and nothing to do with HMRC.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              At the moment you have to produce a contract review to operate outside IR35 in the public sector. My guess is after Wednesday certain positions, perhaps 'office holders' and the like, will no longer have this option. Existing Treasury fines of 5 times contract rate will still apply.

Departments will probably redefine their contract role definitions to fit the new rules. Remember this is purely a Treasury thing and nothing to do with HMRC.
              Office holders and similar were forced on the payroll on 6th April 2013 after the Head of the Student Loans Company was splashed all over the media as avoiding tax.

No one on here could work out how he got away with it as it was clear his personal service was required. I knew/know two other people in similar situations before that and they had to be permanent to get their roles.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Office holders and similar were forced on the payroll on 6th April 2013 after the Head of the Student Loans Company was splashed all over the media as avoiding tax.

No one on here could work out how he got away with it as it was clear his personal service was required. I knew/know two other people in similar situations before that and they had to be permanent to get their roles.
                Actually I can name at least one that even Last year didn't think that office holder rules applied to them...

The original deal with Mr Leaster made some sort of sense he got a salary he wanted the department got their man for the job and it was cheaper for both parties.

It was only Danny wankbait alexander who had already been caught switching homes to EVADE tax that needed a scape goat...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  I wonder how many of the Mail's columnists work on a freelance basis through their own PSCs, and whether that also constitutes a "wheeze", as they put it?

I also wonder why the Mail feels entitled to take such a high moral tone about taxation when its profits in this country are routed through a company in Bermuda, thereby avoiding the irksome necessity of paying tax in the UK
                  The Mail needs to strike fear and envy into middle England.

Traditionally it was read by the wives of Times and Telegraph readers e.g. the men doing all these tax avoidance activities.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Traditionally it was read by the wives of Times and Telegraph readers e.g. the men doing all these tax avoidance activities.
                    "Jim Hacker: The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country.

The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country.

The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country.

The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.

The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country.

The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country.

The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care *who* runs the country - as long as she's got big tits. "

Classic...

Comment

The Mail needs to strike fear and envy into middle England.

Agreed. I will not believe it until I read it in the telegraph.

Comment

Working...
                      X