• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Channel tunnel to close on Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    OK simple explanation for you.

If a person resigns from a job and 2 years later returns and is rehired they are still counted as a new hire, your headcount goes up by one. They may count as a previous employee but when they left last time your headcount went down by one.
    Don't start digging again, you know what happened last time
    We are talking about the effects on EU immigration of Brexit - obviously returning Brits are not a concern and including them in the headline figure is simply disingenuous.
    Jeez
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      We are talking about the effects on EU immigration of Brexit - obviously returning Brits are not a concern and including them in the headline figure is simply disingenuous.
      Jeez
      They will not be able to stop free movement of labour after Brexit anyway
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        They will not be able to stop free movement of labour after Brexit anyway
        No, businesses will still need people who can count.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Jeez
          600k people come here every year? Got any evidence for that?
          Because the problem is when you make numbers up, the rest of your argument loses any credibility even if it is valid.
          Yes last time you assured me you could predict the future, I just gave up listening.

the figure is a fact and correct . Now you may have meant to talk about EU migrants but you didn't.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yes last time you assured me you could predict the future, I just gave up listening.

the figure is a fact and correct . Now you may have meant to talk about EU migrants but you didn't.
            The context of that 600000 was Brexit, as is clear to all with a brain.
            But you're a boneheaded dunce, so if you choose to be literal, please yourself.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I think the issue is that the swamping was all round the south east. This is probably the same as half of London being Ethnic minorities. Our tramps now talk Polish, I think its their first language from their accent.
              You would have been swamped anyway with the 2 million Brits that left the UK, but wouldn't have gone had we never been in the EU. There's no way I'd be in Germany if the UK was not in the EU, and after a Brexit I'm probably coming back, no way I'm going to go grovelling for a work permit proving there's no EU citizens available. The reason for the "swamping" is the number of jobs there.

If all the EU immigrants are thrown out, they'll simply be replaced with UK emigrants coming back.

The immigrant population growth is largely due to non-EU immigration. Brexit won't stop the population growing, that would require stopping non-EU immigration, and for that you don't need a Brexit.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

The context of that 600000 was Brexit, as is clear to all with a brain.
                But you're a boneheaded dunce, so if you choose to be literal, please yourself.
                Yes the general discussion was about brexit however the context was how awful the UK was and the figure was obviously total immigration:

Remain is saying Britain is so useless that we cannot exist without the EU. If it's so bad why are 600k plus people coming here every year.

Sorry if you missed the context change and are now obsessing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  You would have been swamped anyway with the 2 million Brits that left the UK, but wouldn't have gone had we never been in the EU. There's no way I'd be in Germany if the UK was not in the EU, and after a Brexit I'm probably coming back, no way I'm going to go grovelling for a work permit. The reason for the "swamping" is the number of jobs there.

If all the EU immigrants are thrown out, they'll simply be replaced with UK emigrants coming back.

The immigrant population growth is largely due to non-EU immigration. Brexit won't stop the population growing, that would require stopping non-EU immigration, and for that you don't need a Brexit.
                  what makes you you sure after Brexit all the Brits established elsewhere will return?
                  Great all that liquid cash coming back. Not sure they will be able to afford a house in the South East because the rampant house prices will devalue their pensions pots. Maybe they will move to Thailand etc as what they wanted was cheap living costs in retiremeent.

Agree non EU migration is an issue but its a separate matter. We have a problem that recently joined countries provide labour that undercuts the locals.

Comment

Yes the general discussion was about brexit however the context was how awful the UK was and the figure was obviously total immigration:

Sorry if you missed the context change and are now obsessing about it.
                    Still digging, eh?
                    I think I'm going to give you a new name: Sir Dunce-a-lot.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      600K people may come here, but that ignores the fact that some of them are British, more than half are non-EU citizens, and half as many leave at the same time.

According to:

Migration Watch UK | Statistics-net-migration-statistics

617,000 people arrived.

87,000 of them were British. 273,000 of them were non EU, leaving 257,000 from the EU.

85,000 of them left, meaning the net migration from the EU was actually 172,000.

172K is the figure you should be getting hysterical about. How ludicrous is it that you count British citizens amongst immigrants?
                      Their figures are from passenger numbers . NI registrations are far more accurate as they also state the country of origin
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X