• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomers boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    3 bed semi was £50K back in mid nineties and permie salary was just over £50K.

Now same house is about £250K and permie salaries are slightly lower than £50K, but we do have millions of immigrants that make our lives better in every way.

Our govt has served us well. LibLabCon we thank you.
    You were earning £50k mid nineties....

Of course you were [emoji23]
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

I was head of software development at a MS Gold Partner, so yes I was. You can believe it or not believe it, up to you.

Comment

I was head of software development at a MS Gold Partner, so yes I was. You can believe it or not believe it, up to you.
        Selective memory DP.

And that's when you bought your first house?

And HD of Software is only £50k today?

Really [emoji33]

Comment

What makes you think that only MF ever made over £100,000 per month ?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            What makes you think that only MF ever made over £100,000 per month ?
            What are you talking about grandad?

Comment

Selective memory DP.

And that's when you bought your first house?

And HD of Software is only £50k today?

Really [emoji33]
              Bought first house in mid nineties at the height of the "crash" when prices pretty much halved. I had a tiny bedsit flat before that.

Salaries from what I can tell have hardly moved in the permie world. If they were in line with house prices, min wage would be about £40/hour. Plenty of team lead senior developers jobs paying £50K today, so salaries are a joke now, why anyone would want them is a mystery to me....

Comment

Bought first house in mid nineties at the height of the "crash" when prices pretty much halved.
                Lucky you. I was still at school.

Graduate wage of £16k in 2000 wouldn't buy me the £80k 1 bed flat in Aldershot. And watched the prices spiral from there.

Salaries from what I can tell have hardly moved in the permie world. If they were in line with house prices, min wage would be about £40/hour. Plenty of team lead senior developers jobs paying £50K today, so salaries are a joke now, why anyone would want them is a mystery to me....
                From what you can tell, sounds a bit rose watery for me. No doubt IT is not what it once was, but £50k for HD of does not sound right.

Comment

Lucky you. I was still at school.

Graduate wage of £16k in 2000 wouldn't buy me the £80k 1 bed flat in Aldershot. And watched the prices spiral from there.

From what you can tell, sounds a bit rose watery for me. No doubt IT is not what it once was, but £50k for HD of does not sound right.
                  The Bob effect. When I was a permie back then, ICT work permits, mass open immigration, offshoring was just a little dream in New Labour's think tank...

PS If it's any consolation, back in 2005 I had the chance to buy two flats in SW London for peanuts, but turned down the offer because I felt house prices had peaked.

Comment

The Bob effect. When I was a permie back then, ICT work permits, mass open immigration, offshoring was just a little dream in New Labour's think tank...
                    I'm glad I'm an engineer.

Comment

I'm glad I'm an engineer
                      One of very few that were home brewed I'd guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X