• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you think? Borrow more debt or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    When hyperinflation hits, in two or three years tops, people with "stacks of cash" will find it vaporised in an inflation firestorm.

Don't say you weren't warned!
    Thankfully you'll be living in a house you can eat, right?

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      Better than a crap shoot of skinflints trying to play junior real estate tycoon.
      Better 50/50 than all bad.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        So she's made £2m but according to Sean she's part of the "crap shoot of skinflints trying to play junior real estate tycoon. "
        That all depends on whether she actually improved the properties and rented them out at a reasonable rate or just sat on them and waited for market recovery to turn them around...

Comment

That all depends on whether she actually improved the properties and rented them out at a reasonable rate or just sat on them and waited for market recovery to turn them around...
          Renovated the older ones, rented them all to cover mortgage interest payments.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            If it's good enough for our Government, then it's good enough for the people. Live for today, not for tomorrow is my motto.
            Yet, you've put £140k into pension in one year alone

I suppose that was good for the Govt...

Comment

Just like when you buy shares and watch them appreciate in value from 2009 to 2016. How much effort do you put into the companies to help their share price appreciate? Or do you just sit on them and let central banks QE and ZIP do the job for you?

Or let me guess: you didn't buy shares, you didn't buy property, you didn't buy gold, you didn't buy anything. You just left your money in the bank and possibly in low-yielding ISAs, expecting it to add up to a sizeable 'investment' in the future. Life doesn't work like that - I should know, I missed out on a lot in the past, then I lost hundreds of thousands after that, and now I'm OK.

Put some effort in.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                My ex sister-in-law has about £2m in BTL debt, but the property "portfolio" has nearly doubled in value so she's not done too bad by borrowing the QE money overall.
                Cheap money means easy riches.
                You should have married her then to get half of her riches...

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  True also if deflation hits, which is the more likely scenario in the near term.
                  The more likely is that banks will start charging negative rates on cash they keep

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Renovated the older ones, rented them all to cover mortgage interest payments.
                    How is she going to handle Gidiots removal of interest relief on rentals?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      You should have married her then to get half of her riches...
                      She's too good for me mate.

Comment

Working...
                      X