• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Empire of The Shunned.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree wholeheartedly with NLUK. There are too many people who think contracting is an option from the start and that they can simply flip over to it, but still want to behave like a perm while getting the money that their skill set and experience simply don't command.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      But that's not what the OP was objecting to:

We all know this happens on here. More so in General, granted, but then again, normal people's understanding of the term "General" is more likely to be "a place for general enquiries" than "an utter bearpit where people heap abuse and insults on strangers for no good reason". Given that the CUK definition is so wildly at variance with that of the rest of the English-speaking world, perhaps a little forbearance wouldn't come amiss?
      General renamed to Playground?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        General renamed to Playground?
        Your call seems most of your posts end up in it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
          Some people use the power to be rude and unpleasant. It's a reflection of character.
          Said a poster called "DieScum".

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I'm probably the main anprotagonist in most peoples eyes...
          FTFY.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I'm probably the main protagonist in most peoples eyes so shouldn't really be posting in this thread but thought I'd mention a couple of things.

Hostility is different per person. A bit of solid factual feedback to one person is another persons hostility. It's a cold world on the internet and just because it doesn't have a smiley or a hug on the end doesn't mean it's harsh or hostile. Sometimes yes it crosses the line but sometimes it's the correct and required response. You can't just stand on your soap box and complain that every straight comment is unrequired hostility. IMO anyway.

Also go to any forum and ask an ill thought out and ill-researched question and you are likely to get a pretty sharp response. Go on Mumsnet and say you are going to have a baby what do I do and see how warm and cuddly the response is. Hell, even on the immigration forums someone asking basic questions gets told to politely f**k off and do some research. If you are going to be lazy you are going to get a response in kind. That's life, not hostility.

And, yes, SimonMac has a very good point. It's really starting to annoy me we are fighting HMRC for our future on one hand but feeding newbies the basics to tickbox themselves in to a higher paid job and they intend to do no more. Who wouldn't throw half the 'contractors' at their client to HMRC so they leave those that want to do it properly alone? I've been told I've got to deal with that and not bring it to the forums though which is fair enough.

Hostility in General I can't explain though, it's General.

Obviously my thoughts and obviously not shared by many but there you go.

I have no truck with you NLUK. Most of the time you advice is pertinent and to the point. Even solid advice, often abrasive.

If we do not sustain fresh meat with our experience then we are opening the door to managed service companies. It only takes them to let the barbarians in.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
              How is that sort of comment helping your initial problem?
              Are you not a 'Winner'?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                I agree wholeheartedly with NLUK. There are too many people who think contracting is an option from the start and that they can simply flip over to it, but still want to behave like a perm while getting the money that their skill set and experience simply don't command.
                Which in turn should increase your market demand as an 'expert'.

Comment

Working...
                X