• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dead Celebrities Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    They can't skip a generation anyway. When the Queen dies, Charles becomes King immediately (assuming he's still alive). He might choose to abdicate in favour of William, though by all accounts he has no intention of doing so, but the simple fact is that he will become King. It's hereditary, not a matter of choice like the election of a new chairman to the board where the expected candidate can be passed over.
    Yup, my team nearly blew a quiz night win on account of that, because the others were sure that as Edward VIII was not crowned he never became King. But as suggested by the traditional declaration "The King is dead, long live the King", the successor succeeds to the title automatically the moment the previous sovereign draws their last breath.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Yup, my team nearly blew a quiz night win on account of that, because the others were sure that as Edward VIII was not crowned he never became King. But as suggested by the traditional declaration "The King is dead, long live the King", the successor succeeds to the title automatically the moment the previous sovereign draws their last breath.
      Yeah I knew all that (honest!) but it's only a TV show!

Interestingly I believe Charlie would be King Charles III or might opt for King George VIII, one of his middle names, like the previous King George, who's first name was in fact Albert.

I was also reading that in the past using roman numerals for monarch versions only came into use about 1300 ish, before then it was all Edward the Confessor etc. Wonder what Charlie would be under that system, Charles the Homeopath, Charles the Princess-killer, Charles the Woodlice-counter...

Comment

Chaz The Monstrous Carbuncle. Nice ring to it.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          Re the George Michael thing - I'm actually shocked and saddened by this one.

Wham! we're never really my thing but they provided the (sometimes unwelcome) soundtrack to a very fun part of my life.

And, on retrospect, some of his stuff was very good.

Terrible shame. Whenever I hear Club Tropicana I'm always immediately whisked back to Oscars at Longleat on a Saturday night circa 1983.

RIP.
          Was a shock for me too. I got freezed and I spend a few seconds staring at the television, thinking to myself NO.
          I danced and sang so many times "Wake me up before you go go" and "Last Christmas". Amazing voice when he sang " Somebody to love" in tribut to Freddie Mercury.

My favorite singers when I was a teenager, Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury, David Bowie, Prince, Leonard Cohen, and know George Michael... all gone.

RIP.

Comment

Apparently George Michael was as fat as King Henry VIII at the time he died.

He was a chubby child, and reverted to type so it seems.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

That happens when a person start to have an auto destruction behave. So sad...

Comment

Died of heart failure and still had a huge heroin habit. One of the things herion addiction causes is heart failure.

Sad he's dead etc but he wasn't really one of the greats in my book, cetainly no David Bowie or Hilda Ogden.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Skip a generation, Charles and William go to war....

I thought this was a Rory Bremner sketch .. the acting is the worst I've ever seen, it's meant to be played tongue in cheek, right ?

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                    I thought this was a Rory Bremner sketch .. the acting is the worst I've ever seen, it's meant to be played tongue in cheek, right ?
                    You clearly never saw Howard's Way.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      ...Charles the Homeopath, Charles the Princepsopath,...
                      FTFY
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X