• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edinburgh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edinburgh

I'm taking the missus to Edinburgh next month for the weekend. Somehow I've never got round to visiting there before. I've been told the place is full of Scotch people. Not booked a hotel yet but any recommendations for a contractor stylee place to stay and what to see would be welcomed!
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Got to see the castle. You'll wish you had if you didn't.

We didn't stay in Edinburgh so cannot recommend accommodation though.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

There's of course a plethora of B&B accommodation. The one I stayed at as a contractor (which was out near the zoo) has closed as the couple retired. When wifey visited for a weekend we opted to stay in the Tune Hotel (about twenty yards from Haymarket station. It was perhaps a ten minute walk to Princes Street (but not a nasty walk by any stretch).

Comment

Contractor Stylee? do you mean high rolling fancy pants or mid week, bed and a lightbulb?

Former: Balmoral hotel, Sheraton, Caledonian, radisson Blu etc

later: take you pick of any B&B.

Things to see: castle, brittania, edinburgh dungeon, pubs restaurants clubs etc. holyrood park and arthurs seat, ghost tours, shops
        If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Also worth going to Leith, only a flat rate £1.50 by bus or walk only a river. Royal yacht Britannia also moored over there.

We stayed at a Travel Lodge near Haymarket, hotel is an old converted house in a quiet location, but could still walk into the city.

Comment

Scottish, In Edingburgh! You seem to have been given duff info, full of English and Yanks!

I always stay here Hotel Indigo Edinburgh
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

We were there recently and stayed in a fairly nice B&B in a townhouse, just a few minute's walk from the train station. Not glitzy but nice, and I'm sure it can be had for well south of £100/night if you want to go that route.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
                Contractor Stylee? do you mean high rolling fancy pants....
                Obviously.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Go for the Balmoral then for sure, just so you can say you've been.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You have not said when you are going but we went up at the end of the Festival Fringe last year for the first time. It was so good we are returning again this year - well worth a visit. On the Bank Holiday Monday there are fireworks to mark the end of the Fringe.

Missed it 2015 but intend staying for the display this year. The castle is at the centre of the display.

Harvey Nicks is worth a visit, restaurant at the top of the store with views over the city and the castle.

Comment

Working...
                    X