• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anti-virus: Seriously serious thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Where's the 'None, I have a Mac' option?
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    +1. My antivirus software is a Macbook Pro laptop paired with an iPhone...
    Ah, such naivety. How touching. How out of touch with reality. From 2012... Apple trails behind world+Microsoft in 'Flashback' malware debacle • The Register
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

When I was at IBM we had to have their Open Client Red Hat install on our laptops, what a total POS that was, ask Scruff, he was almost driven to suicide because of it!

I actually preferred Windows, and that's saying something.
      LOL! You mean a client was using Linux Mint v 17 for commercial purposes! Im not surprised they \ you had issues.

However, for non commercial use Id say its far superior to windoz. Sure, some of it is different to what you may be used to but to claim its a POS is, well, a POS in itself.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        LOL! You mean a client was using Linux Mint v 17 for commercial purposes! Im not surprised they \ you had issues.

However, for non commercial use Id say its far superior to windoz. Sure, some of it is different to what you may be used to but to claim its a POS is, well, a POS in itself.
        No it it was pukka Red Hat with mods and registered with a proper RHN subscription. We had Windows 7 originally and had to 'update' to OC.

It deffo slowed lappy down, and we were all Unix heads! Number one was disk access was lamentably slow, cured by SSD but not for contractors, permies only. The worst was RDP access and multiscreens, res wrong, appearing on wrong screen, and another was Notes, awful.

We all hated it. I'm not anti 'it', had OpenSolaris on my lappy in my Sun days that was fine apart from StarOffice but on the whole I think there's too many distros, libraries, I mean WTF is Cairo, Pango and cracklib?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Is it even possible to get a virus without explicitly downloading and installing something these days? It shouldn't be.
          Yep a couple of years ago I was on some dodgy download site, all of a sudden a load of popups appeared in quick succession, CPU fans started going hell for leather, any address I typed into browser got changed to some tulip site.

Did a scan which seemed to clean some bits up, but then I noticed when I went to my internet banking, there was an extra text box under the usual "select digits 1, 6, 9 from your memorable information" asking for the full phrase!! I think it was a rootkit, think I had to rebuild it in the end as nothing would shift it.
          Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

I have oSX and I still have Avast Anti Virus, mainly because my NAS kept picking up (Wintel) viruses out of my junk mail folder when Time Machine backed up my Mac
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              I have oSX and I still have Avast Anti Virus, mainly because my NAS kept picking up (Wintel) viruses out of my junk mail folder when Time Machine backed up my Mac
              Well, I guess you are a rich man now thanks to all those millions you received from African businessmen.

Comment

Anti-virus: Seriously serious thread

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                Well, I guess you are a rich man now thanks to all those millions you received from African businessmen.
                Last edited by SimonMac; 21 December 2015, 15:31.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

No it it was pukka Red Hat with mods and registered with a proper RHN subscription. We had Windows 7 originally and had to 'update' to OC.

It deffo slowed lappy down, and we were all Unix heads! Number one was disk access was lamentably slow, cured by SSD but not for contractors, permies only. The worst was RDP access and multiscreens, res wrong, appearing on wrong screen, and another was Notes, awful.

We all hated it. I'm not anti 'it', had OpenSolaris on my lappy in my Sun days that was fine apart from StarOffice but on the whole I think there's too many distros, libraries, I mean WTF is Cairo, Pango and cracklib?
                  Well, as said, Im not using it commercially but Linux mint doesnt slow my lappie down, it actaully boots quicker than a new lappie running windoz 8 (never upgraded it to 10 because I put Linux on it within 4 weeks of buying it) its cleaner too.

I dont have any influence over clients but I wont be going back to windoz for a non commercial perspective.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Who installed it you, or some bod in IBM?

All the linux distros I've used have been faster than booting windows especially as they allow me to use cheap crappy hardware. (I'm currently writing this on an Ubuntu laptop)
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Who installed it you, or some bod in IBM?

All the linux distros I've used have been faster than booting windows especially as they allow me to use cheap crappy hardware. (I'm currently writing this on an Ubuntu laptop)
                      All automatic, via IBM's Lifeboat bootable installer - google it - the IBM Open Client is no secret, basically RH. Lappy was a Thinkpad T410.

TBF it's laudable what they are trying to do, just it's too slow and half the things don't work, i.e. need a Windows VM for vSphere, need Windows VM for Notes cos it's quicker, etc. It's mental because they are saying Windows is insecure etc, but let you run Windows in KVM.....

At current clientco it's BYOD and I have all I want on my MacBook Pro with zero issues apart from lack of space on the 512mb SSD.

Comment

Working...
                      X