• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take contractor invoice as PAYE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTFY

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I'm sure I saw a sensible thread on here about corporation tax that will just confuse you even more...
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      FTFY

Did you read the other thread (or even just look at who started it)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Did you read the other thread (or even just look at who started it)
        ballcocks.

Unto the breach
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Taking it all as salary is tax inefficient. You will pay high rate tax on a big chunk, which is a lot more than CT. Speak to an accountant for the best strategy with you circumstances.

Ps: £100k p/a is perfectly reasonable.
          Thanks, I agree.

Here are my thoughts;

As I understand, from April 2016, the first £5K of dividends is not taxed. After that, the next £28K approx. is taxed at 7.5% and then the rest at £32.5%.

So with £100K, if I take £10K as salary and another £10K as expenses, that leaves £80K. Corp tax is at 20%, so 0.8 * £80K = £64K.

First £5K of div is tax free, next £28K is taxed at 7.5%, remaining £31K is taxed at 32.5%.

So IF I were to take the £64 as dividends, I end up with: £5K + £25.9K + £20.925K = £51.825K.

Even if I add my £10K as salary and £10K as expenses, I only end up with £71.825K, ie not mch better than PAYE.

Have I miscalculated somewhere?

Comment

Are you factoring bench time or just going on straight cash values?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smileyface View Post
              Yes.

£100k salary is rare as rocking horse tulip.

£100k contract £450ish/day is common.

Maybe think about comparing a £70k salary with a £100k contract.

HTH, PG
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Yes.

£100k salary is rare as rocking horse tulip.

£100k contract £450ish/day is common.

Maybe think about comparing a £70k salary with a £100k contract.

HTH, PG
                Ps: if you can get a permie £100k job, take it.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I'd be thinking hard about the 70k job up here!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Then you are open to performance reviews and sh*t.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by smileyface View Post
                      Thanks, I agree.

Here are my thoughts;

As I understand, from April 2016, the first £5K of dividends is not taxed. After that, the next £28K approx. is taxed at 7.5% and then the rest at £32.5%.

So with £100K, if I take £10K as salary and another £10K as expenses, that leaves £80K. Corp tax is at 20%, so 0.8 * £80K = £64K.

First £5K of div is tax free, next £28K is taxed at 7.5%, remaining £31K is taxed at 32.5%.

So IF I were to take the £64 as dividends, I end up with: £5K + £25.9K + £20.925K = £51.825K.

Even if I add my £10K as salary and £10K as expenses, I only end up with £71.825K, ie not mch better than PAYE.

So, on the assumption that you have 100k of billings and zero costs then there is a gross profit of 100k. If this were all taken as salary then this is a gross salary of 88,850 + Er's NI 11,141 giving a net post tax salary of 58,858.

If the contract is within IR35 then your are pretty much stuck with this or something similar (save for taking pensions).

Obviously you can't just "take" 10k as expenses. They have to be incurred, but let's assume they are.

As you surmise this will leave approx 64k for dividends. Except it won't quite.

10k salary costs 260 in EE's NI and 232 in ER's. So it leaves 9,740 in your pocket and actually will leave

100,000 - 10,000 - 10,260 = 79740 x .8 = 63792.

Now, first thing you need to do is gross it up for the nominal 10% tax credit ( x 10/9) = 70880

Currently:

600 = 0 (balance of personal allowance)
                      31785 = 0 (basic rate band)
                      38495 @ 22.5 = 8661.38 (allowing for the tax credit)

Total yield = 9,740 + 63,792 - 8662 = 64,870. +10k exps = 74,870

Obviously this is comfortably ahead of the 100k salary route of 59,000. (But really you should calculate based on a 90 gross including Er's NI to compare like with like -this would be 53,750 appx+ 10k = 63,750)

In any event you arecomparing 53,750 to 64,870. You may or may not regard that as significant.

[strike]With the advent of thenew dividend tax, who knows ? But it seems likely there will be further additional tax of 31,785 - 5,000 x 7.5% = 2,000 tax to pay extra. So this brings it a bit clearer; but still usefully better off.[/strike]

Of course whether or not simply ensuring everything in the company pot ends up immediately in your hands may not be prudent.

And I could have gone wrong in my calculations.

edit: you can of course fill in a "dummy" tax return in your self assessmentaccount and not submit it to play around with numbers.

edit: No I think that is complete tosh for next year.
                      Last edited by ASB; 7 December 2015, 20:30.

Comment

Working...
                      X