• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official "Autumn Statement 2015" AKA "End of Contracting" thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been wondering about the motivation to screw contracting, even if it appears to bring in less tax (i pay more in ££ as a contractor than as a permie )

could it be reduction in admin for HMRC to do? dealing with a single PAYE payroll = cheaper than lots of Self Assessment returns?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
      I have been wondering about the motivation to screw contracting, even if it appears to bring in less tax (i pay more in ££ as a contractor than as a permie )

could it be reduction in admin for HMRC to do? dealing with a single PAYE payroll = cheaper than lots of Self Assessment returns?
      Partly but as it is all automated this shouldn't be an issue any more, should it?
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
        Partly but as it is all automated this shouldn't be an issue any more, should it?

I hear Capita are working on it
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post

Yup, I suggested the same thing, in so many words, last week (in another thread).
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Worst case scenario is that they force contractors to act as 'temps' on the payroll of the agency, no reason why the rates should come down much (only to allow for the employers NIC on the salary) so the effect will be more tax and NIC.

This may reduce the pool of contractors, forcing up rates to at least partly compensate for the higher taxes no expenses etc.

Most contractors I know are not committed contractors like the users of this forum and they will switch easily enough.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

IIRC this expenses thing was only for contractors who come through an agency.

So going direct (and yes much easier said than actually doing it) it could be as you were - ie I am not a PSC but a business in my own right, consultancy, etc.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                If we all fall inside IR35, and we are on roughly 140k, what are we likely to drop to?
                Drop dead?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Should we all be ploughing money into building companies?
                  You won't have much left ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    You won't have much left ...
                    Really, he's going to raid my ISA?

Here we go...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So it begins...

Apparently his commitment was security first...

He mentions "no more money left" again, FFS, it's been 5 years now!

Comment

Working...
                      X