• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Burqa banned in Swiss Canton of Ticino (Tessin)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    It's splitting hairs but;

Burqa:

Niqab:

Seen plenty of the second form as that's what all Saudi women are required to wear. Never seen the first form with the full face covering anywhere.
    It's not splitting hairs at all. It's the fundamental problem. People say ban the Burqa because the face should be shown and are talking about completely the wrong thing. Kinda ruins the argument and makes them look like a tit. If you are going to introduce some contentious rules at least get the right name for it. I can count the number of Burqas I've ever seen on one hand... The niqab however...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It's not splitting hairs at all. It's the fundamental problem. People say ban the Burqa because the face should be shown and are talking about completely the wrong thing. Kinda ruins the argument and makes them look like a tit. If you are going to introduce some contentious rules at least get the right name for it. I can count the number of Burqas I've ever seen on one hand... The niqab however...
      Yes I agree, it's a fundamental problem.
      Following the example of Iran, women started to dress like western countries, after the Talibans era, burqa was required again.

It's like domestic violence when a women got a black eye, "I fell from de stairs".

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
        Rarer granted but surprises me. Where do you live?
        Somerset.

I've seen the niqab in London but I went to uni in Newcastle & lived in the West End which has a lot of Muslims. Never saw a niqab/burqa once. That was 20 years ago. I'm guessing the ones in headgear are the younger generation who identlfy with Islam more strongly than their parents did. They'd have been kids when I was up there.

I did see a burqini once though. In Torquay

Comment

Well they can choose to take these off - if the are prepared for any consequences...
          They can choose to fight against being disfigured if they are prepared to take the consequences
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I did see a burqini once though. In Torquay
            Did you waterboard her, just to be sure?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I have to remove my crash helmet / balaclava every time I pay for fuel. By the same token, burqa / niqab wearers should be asked to do the same shouldn't they?

I haven't read up on this particular story though so I don't know if the argument is about Muslim headgear being bad because it obscures your features ( and maybe your intentions too?) or whether the ban is on the basis of such garments being divisive.

The problem with banning something because it's divisive is a double edge sword of course. Under those rules, what's to stop them banning people from wearing tee shirts showing the confederate flag, for example?

Because some SJW somewhere would argue that wearing such a thing is tantamount to saying you like slavery and it's not hard to imagine how that would all pan out.
              Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 26 November 2015, 09:26.

Comment

I have to remove my crash helmet / balaclava every time I pay for fuel. By the same token, burqa / niqab wearers should be asked to do the same shouldn't they?

I haven't read up on this particular story though so I don't know if the argument is about Muslim headgear being bad because it obscures your features ( and maybe your intentions too?) or whether the ban is on the basis of such garments being divisive.

The problem with banning something because it's divisive is a double edge sword of course. Under those rules, what's to stop them banning people from wearing tee shirts showing the confederate flag, for example?

Because some SJW somewhere would argue that wearing such a thing is tantamount to saying you like slavery and it's not hard to imagine how that would all pan out.
                A niqab just covers your hair and you should clearly be able to see the woman's face. It's no different from an orthodox Jew wearing a hat/scarf or some women in Christian sects wearing scarves.

The burqa is different and while it's common sense to cover your face in a sand storm there is no reason to do so in most of the world. Also the aim of wearing one is to be modest but standing out isn't modest.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  A niqab just covers your hair and you should clearly be able to see the woman's face. It's no different from an orthodox Jew wearing a hat/scarf or some women in Christian sects wearing scarves.

The burqa is different and while it's common sense to cover your face in a sand storm there is no reason to do so in most of the world. Also the aim of wearing one is to be modest but standing out isn't modest.
                  Niqab doesn't show the face - just the eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    A niqab just covers your hair and you should clearly be able to see the woman's face.
                    Isn't that the hijab?
                    I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Isn't that the hijab?
                      Yep sorry doing multiple things at once again.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X