• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uber

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You know India is a big place with > 1 billion people living there and a real issue with rape. We are talking about the UK?

Yes, believe it or not I am aware of the citizenship of India and its size. I just didn't feel comfortable with leaning over the table and saying "you guys are all a bit rapey aren't you".

Maybe you would have.

Comment

How PC of you.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You backward people had better get with the program.

Use it all the time in the US. Using the ap, you know exactly where your driver is on the way there, you can track the correct way to your destination, no more silly 'taxi drivers' trying to find the longest or slowest route to maximize their fare and at the end you just get out, already paid, immediate receipt and no tip. And it's cheaper.

What could be easier.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Use it all the time in the US. Using the ap, you know exactly where your driver is on the way there, you can track the correct way to your destination, no more silly 'taxi drivers' trying to find the longest or slowest route to maximize their fare and at the end you just get out, already paid, immediate receipt and no tip. And it's cheaper.

What could be easier.
          As I said, your findings are different to mine, in London.
          I agree it is convenient, for all the reasons, you describe.

Its not always cheaper however and the drivers seem to stop pretty much anywhere, then you have to use the app to track them down.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You backward people had better get with the program..
            Is there an extra charge for being a half tonne passenger?

Comment

What could be easier.
              ^ This. Uber is great!

Comment

Call me a Luddite but I'd rather pay more for a proper black cab than some chancer in a nasty car. Black cabs are nice to be in, roomy, clean, the drivers are proper friendly and properly regulated. That's in cities that have black cabs.

Towns with only minicabs: well, these suck a bit, but the drivers are still more regulated and screened than Uber. Mind you, that hasn't stopped mini cab firms in Rotherham and the rest of the midlands playing a large part in systematic assault and rape.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  Call me a Luddite but I'd rather pay more for a proper black cab than some chancer in a nasty car. Black cabs are nice to be in, roomy, clean, the drivers are proper friendly and properly regulated. That's in cities that have black cabs.

Towns with only minicabs: well, these suck a bit, but the drivers are still more regulated and screened than Uber. Mind you, that hasn't stopped mini cab firms in Rotherham and the rest of the midlands playing a large part in systematic assault and rape.
                  I wouldn't piss on a black cab if the driver was burning inside, arses the lot of them.

Comment

I've been pretty disappointed with these apps.

If i want to go somewhere unfashionable (not unsafe, just not with a lot of punters around to pick up the home fare), I've been bounced and my booking cancelled more than once.

At least trams and buses can get you there.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Here in Leeds I use Arrow, there's an app and you can pay advance like Uber, but the clincher for me is you can book in advance too, very handy for that taxi to the airport at 5:30 am.....

And like Uber you can see where the driver is on wee map but unlike Uber he usually finds your street not the one two streets away. Many a time the Uber driver was parked in the housing estate behind Morrisons at Bramley and not in the taxi pick up zone.

Comment

Working...
                      X