• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Care homes fees justified ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    My mum has done some sort of legal thing which 'hides' her assets from the self-funding regulations... she was concerned that all "my inheritance" would be drained away should she decide she needs to enter such a place.

Some sort of trust IIRC, the details escape me though.
    FIL looked into this - we all decided it was too dodgy.

To the OP - we were looking at care homes for my mum at the beginning of the year - no dementia, but tendency to be a bit confused. Generally not needing nursing care. It was about £1100pw IIRC. We did visit their 'dementia unit' too - it was very nice, and there was a very high staff to inmate ratio, but I don't want to think about how much it cost! It was a Sunrise home, which might be higher end of scale.

Comment

You have to start transferring the old dears assets to other family members when they get to about 60 ish.

Generally if they have enough to live on from the pension just let them have that.

My gran was paying my dad's sister nominal rent for the past about 20 years so when she went to a care home and the house was sold the money was put into funds for other family members.

Obviously you have to have a decent intelligent family.

Comment

Working...
      X