• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Care homes fees justified ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning over care home 'trust' schemes that promise to protect your property - Telegraph

Oh Dear
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

That's why you should use a trustworthy financial advisor to help you decide if it's a good idea or not. Interesting, thanks for sharing.

That article (for anyone too lazy to read it) makes vague warnings and urges caution which is sound advice with any substantial financial decision

Anyway, in mum's case if this isn't valid it just puts us back where we were minus the fees. More than likely she'd pass on the house in early inheritance in that case.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/...237/003860.pdf

Extended Care / Nursing Home Hospital Setting Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale United Kingdom

so costs are say 11 employees to cover 2 positions = £220k. 36 patients * £5k = £180k they may have a point. You may be able to use cheaper staff to supplant the nurses and have a nurse on call.
        WTF you are comparing annual salary of the staff to monthly payment by patients.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          WTF you are comparing annual salary of the staff to monthly payment by patients.
          no one else spotted it Teach me to be too subtle.

yes the staff costs are 1.5 - 2 months so what do they spend the rest on if they are so hard up?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
            I didn't know it was free in Scotland, in UK once you are down to last 16k ish the council funding kicks in if family can't top up fees then you have to find a home were the council funding will cover it and that in my nans case is around 1.5hr drive a way, not ideal if you want to visit everyday.
            Now my mum's dementia is well-established I don't visit as much. I just ring her saying "I'm home. Lovely seeing you earlier".

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
              Now my mum's dementia is well-established I don't visit as much. I just ring her saying "I'm home. Lovely seeing you earlier".
              No wonder she's ******* confused......

Comment

There must be some other major costs - profits are surely substantial though.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                  There are no old people in Scotland. They just look it.
                  Chortle!

My old folks are the same age as HMQ and DofE, and thank God still sprightly and marbled-up enough to look after themselves with no trouble.

Actually, my father who is 92 still drives them both hundreds of miles, although he has trouble seeing in the dark so they try and drive during the day.
                  Last edited by OwlHoot; 19 November 2015, 15:57.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                    Not washing hands, we would of looked after her if we could, she lived with my mother circa 300miles away from me, but mother herself is old and was not physically able to care for my nan, hence home last resort.
                    Sorry, it wasn't meant as a comment on your circumstances, rather the options you end up with. My father ended up in a nursing home and his savings disappeared at an alarming rate for care that was no different to what an Uncle received who had never saved a penny. I didn't care about the money (which was destined for me) but he did. He had worked all his life and paid taxes plus saved carefully and at the end he might as well have not bothered. Not many can save enough to support 3 years in a nursing home.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                      He had worked all his life and paid taxes plus saved carefully and at the end he might as well have not bothered.
                      There is no point in saving. In fact it is best to borrow as much as possible - get as many BTLs as you can.

It is a very different world from when I was young. I still remember borrowing being called the "never never". Now it requires everyone to spend to keep the economy afloat. There was a bit of an economic lull recently so the government has unlocked access to pensions. So it can to spent. Which I suppose is better than having it go towards nursing home fees.

Comment

Working...
                      X