• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorcycles and lane weaving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    It's an additional hazard.
    AYCOTBAD?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      Also if car drivers in the UK drove like they do on the continent, pulling in when not overtaking, then there would be less need to undertake, which is a different thing to filtering altogether.
      In that scenario e.g. a motorway aren't the cars all doing the speed limit (at least)? You get a better traffic flow using all the lanes.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I am seriously considering getting a hi vis jacket printed with something along the lines of

YES - I can Filter, but when it rains, I get WET

Car drivers are in lovely luxury, bikers choose to be in more discomfort (especially when cold/raining) for the express purpose of being able to get through the traffic.

Doing so at reasonable speeds (I won't filter above 40mph full stop) and keeping an eye out for morons who really should be more aware of their surroundings seems to keep me safe enough, but I have had a few pull across on purpose on me, a few drift across as they are on phones (one was on an IPAD!) and one guy last week decided to filter past me in his car cos he got the hump and nearly wiped me out - big man in a large tin can taking risks with someone else life - PRI(K!

If we couldn't filter we wouldn't commute on bikes, but we can, so we do, and all car drivers need to be aware or face the claim when their poor driving causes an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
          I am seriously considering getting a hi vis jacket printed with something along the lines of

YES - I can Filter, but when it rains, I get WET

Car drivers are in lovely luxury, bikers choose to be in more discomfort (especially when cold/raining) for the express purpose of being able to get through the traffic.

Doing so at reasonable speeds (I won't filter above 40mph full stop) and keeping an eye out for morons who really should be more aware of their surroundings seems to keep me safe enough, but I have had a few pull across on purpose on me, a few drift across as they are on phones (one was on an IPAD!) and one guy last week decided to filter past me in his car cos he got the hump and nearly wiped me out - big man in a large tin can taking risks with someone else life - PRI(K!

If we couldn't filter we wouldn't commute on bikes, but we can, so we do, and all car drivers need to be aware or face the claim when their poor driving causes an accident.
          Very valid point about not filtering beyond 40 mph. My commute from Hertfordshire to Canary Wharf would take a *lot* longer than just under an hour if I didn't filter and pretended to be a car.

When done safely filtering shouldn't annoy/disturb/piss off other car drivers.

So far I have found that 99% of car drivers are ok. The odd dozy driver is typically on his/her phone or just not paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Why are there so many accidents with filtering then?
            There are accidents while filtering usually because either cars change lanes without checking their mirrors or some motorcyclists filter too fast and don't give themselves a chance to react.

I typically filter not very much faster than the cars/vans on either side of me which gives me a reasonable chance of doing something in case a car/van driver does something unexpected.

When traffic has completely stopped or is crawling under 5mph I filter at around 15 to 20 mph which doesn't sound like a lot but is a heck of a lot better than 0 to 5 mph.

Having loud (louder than stock) exhausts on one's motorbike also helps in making other drivers aware.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorOnAMotorbike View Post

When traffic has completely stopped or is crawling under 5mph I filter at around 15 to 20 mph which doesn't sound like a lot but is a heck of a lot better than 0 to 5 mph.
              This is exactly what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                Interestingly I was reading the other day that it isn't illegal to undertake, just not recommended by the highway code. It's generally a bad idea, as well as hanging around near the tail end of a left hand drive lorry as they cannot see you.

My view with bikers is to give them room. I've got two tons of metal around me, they have nothing. All said and done I really don't want to face the prospect of being the driver that sent them on to the next life. No matter who's "fault" it was.
                There is no such thing as "undertaking", just like there is no such thing as a "PSC".

Passing on the left, though, is considered dangerous if it's accompanied by a lane change specifically to accomplish it.

Comment

Working...
                X