• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crackdown on personal service companies could raise £400m in tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Well if that does happen we are screwed. Ftc at half contract rate with no real benefits. Day rate through umbrella I could cope with.

As mentioned though, client has c150 day rate contractors and they aren't going on the payroll.
    Why would FTC rate be dropped?

What's more interesting is this and it's a massive ray of hope. What will happen to the agency commission model? It's in agencies' interests to keep us outside of IR35 and keep us earning commission for them. The biggest money-lovers of all in our economic foodchain will want to preserve their supply. The easiest way for them to do this is to manage clients and candidates to keep all their contracts that should be outside IR35, outside of IR35. This means that they'll be absolutely scouring the new rules and advising clients and candidates of the best way to operate in the future (e.g. a verbal agreement to no right of substitution or taking two similar contractors on together who have the right of co-substitution).

That thought alone has cheered me up before I go and face the commuter carnage that is Euston station on a Friday evening.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

That thought alone has cheered me up before I go and face the commuter carnage that is Euston station on a Friday evening.
      All the ftcs here are at the same rate as permies. Worst of either world.

Good luck with the trip home. I always tried to get the 16:05 home on a Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by MrO666 View Post
        Just talking to my partner who heads up an IT arm of a managed services firm ad she said that if these rules came in, they just wouldn't bother using UK contractors, they would outsource more and more of it offshore.
        Maybe that's Osbornes's big plan.
        UK IT market fully controlled by big consultancies.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          Maybe that's Osbornes's big plan.
          UK IT market fully controlled by big consultancies.
          Yeah, but big consultancies who ensure that all profit is not even generated onshore, so hence can't even be hit with the new rules around that.

If a contractor is based in India, then HMRC cannot argue that the work was carried out in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

What's more interesting is this and it's a massive ray of hope. What will happen to the agency commission model? It's in agencies' interests to keep us outside of IR35 and keep us earning commission for them. The biggest money-lovers of all in our economic foodchain will want to preserve their supply. The easiest way for them to do this is to manage clients and candidates to keep all their contracts that should be outside IR35, outside of IR35. This means that they'll be absolutely scouring the new rules and advising clients and candidates of the best way to operate in the future (e.g. a verbal agreement to no right of substitution or taking two similar contractors on together who have the right of co-substitution).

What, you mean actually act like they are the agent of the client and protect their client's interests, look into and confirm their working practices prior to contract signing, and earn their daily cut by constantly monitoring to ensure the SD&C rules are followed? Some of them might be okay, but the newby recruiter I spoke to the other day looking for a SAP HR person and wondered what HCM stood for might struggle a bit.

It might actually work out well. Decent agencies stay in business, bum-on-seat contractors on lower FTCs, and a reduced pool of contractors pushing rates upwards.....

Comment

Autumn Statement 2015: how a 'personal services company' (PSC) cuts your income tax bill - Telegraph

Comment

And to think, pcg \ ipse said the Government was on their side! Oops!
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  And to think, pcg \ ipse said the Government was on their side! Oops!
                  To be fair we have a main opposition party who refused to answer any of the pcg/ipse questions about contracting and self-employment in the last General Election.

Even the Greens, who were more left wing than Labour at the time, could make something up for pcg/ipse to print.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I hope we can get a sticky up before the raft of idiots that have no idea about being a contractor start asking 'Which ones do I tick to be outside IR35'. Sadly it appears despite their refusal to try and understand what they do they will also be able to tick the right boxes and jump through whatever hoops will be required to carry on as normal to a greater extent. Shame.

Be interesting if this time at a client starts from April or is backdated. Could be like musical chairs throughout April if it is LOL.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 20 November 2015, 22:37.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

George - zero corporation tax - Osborne:

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X