• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear (tm): Brits are refusing to buy lottery tickets for 'low' jackpots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gave up bothering when it went up to a whole £2!

"Tax on stupid is failing because the stupid are not quite as stupid as Camelot thought they were"
    "Tax on mean is failing because the mean are even meaner than Camelot thought they were."

FTFY
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Gave up bothering when it went up to a whole £2!

"Tax on mean is failing because the mean are even meaner than Camelot thought they were."

FTFY
      WHS. That price hike was psychologically disastrous.

and IMHO the quote should be:

"Tax on stupid is failing because the most stupid are not quite as stupid as Camelot."
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I told the wife I wouldn't get out of bed for less than £20 mil

She told me she wouldn't get into bed for any less
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          It's a sign of times - a few million quid (even tax free) don't make one rich, one needs at least £10 mln - tax free, preferably
          On a serious note, I think someone that wins £900K on the lottery could end up better off than someone that wins £2m over the long run.

Under a million - and I think people understand that the cash will make you very comfortable, but won't last a lifetime. Get good investment advise - average 4-5% returns, which is a very good top-up for the day job.

Yet someone winning "millions" - it's probably a lot easier to splash the cash, quit the day job, the obligatory gifts for friends and family - and after a few years, realise too late that the 1.5% bank interest they have been earning on their remaining 600K brings in less cash than a minimum wage job and will only fund their 100Kpa lifestyle for another few years.

Comment

Working...
          X