• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Erm, no. You're in business, aren't you? Interest on a loan is only deductible to the extent that the loan is used for business purposes, so any loan on a BTL to fund a private residence will not be for business purposes and therefore not deductible.

It doesn't matter that the collateral (your BTL) is a business rental, it's the purpose that you use the loan money for.
    Yes I'm in business, thanks for asking.

As for intent of capital allocation, there are ways and means. OP could even buy her resi home and then release equity to fund a BTL, which would make part of the interest on her home mortgage a tax deductible expense. Centurian's post above does well to highlight the possibilities available in using equity.

How many properties are you managing in your own investment portfolio?

Comment

So, Kitten1978, do you put the chutney spoon back once you have licked it?

In regards to your other questions - yes, natural to feel nervous taking on more expense but with all that cash sloshing around in the system wages/rates could well keep pushing up and as long as you keep with current skills and make good connections as your rate should move up too. Yes, we are going to be hit with dividend tax and possibly shafted over expenses too so you definitely need to take that into account when budgeting for the future. What market are you in and what is contract availability like at present?

Urrrgh no I wash it up, what do you think I am!?! :-) Haha

I am in BI, SQL Server, (SSAS, MDX, SSRS, SSIS) and the market *touch wood* is looking good at the moment.
      I am intending on over paying the mortgage.
      That dividend tax is a nightmare, I signed a petition about it, don't know if it will do much good but still...

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten1978 View Post
        That dividend tax is a nightmare, I signed a petition about it, don't know if it will do much good but still...
        It's not as bad the IR35 situation to be fair.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X