• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Denis Healey RIP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

savaged by a dead sheep
    Mmmmm. Sounds rude!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

His greatest success was that he managed to get a loan from the IMF to bail the UK's economy out
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        His greatest success was that he managed to get a loan from the IMF to bail the UK's economy out of the appalling mess it was in after four years of Tory government.
        You missed out the last part of your sentence. FTFY.

Comment

His greatest success was that he managed to get a loan from the IMF to bail the UK's economy out
          And getting the IMF to bail us out is so different to printing money via QE?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            You missed out the last part of your sentence. FTFY.
            You mean a Heath government brought to its knees by the Trade Unions. And of course never forget that your own riches and privilege are thanks to the reforms of Margaret Thatcher
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
              And getting the IMF to bail us out is so different to printing money via QE?
              Both necessitated as a result of labour rule

Comment

You mean a Heath government brought to its knees by the Trade Unions. And of course never forget that your own riches and privilege are thanks to the reforms of Margaret Thatcher
                I think you'll find that the quadrupling of the price of oil was the thing that screwed the economy in the early 1970s. I was there, I remember it clearly.

And I don't have any riches. I might have if Thatcher hadn't squandered the revenues from North Sea oil on creating mass unemployment and destroying manufacturing industry.

Comment

I think you'll find that the quadrupling of the price of oil was the thing that screwed the economy in the early 1970s. I was there, I remember it clearly.

And I don't have any riches. I might have if Thatcher hadn't squandered the revenues from North Sea oil on creating mass unemployment and destroying manufacturing industry.
                  You are a contractor therefore unless you are a stupid one (and you are not) then you are rich .. live with it!

Comment

You are a contractor therefore unless you are a stupid one (and you are not) then you are rich .. live with it!
                    Richer than you'll ever be

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I was there in the 1970s too. The UK was slipping ever seen WW1 and WW2 escalated the downfall. Heath was rubbish - probably the worst PM since WW" until Gordon Brown But Callaghan/Healey did not to stop the rot. You cannot spend your way out of a crisis like the 1970s.

Thatcher decided to reduce red tape, cut spending and kill off the trade unions. She was lucky with the Falklands war or would have gone in 1983. Alas the city recovered better than manufacturing so the strong pound choked off the manufacturing recovery. That could have been fixed and should have.

I also don't have any riches. But my ex-wives do.

Comment

Working...
                      X