• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geek Attack: What did you used to play?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone fancy a game now. Xoggoth can be DM.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Um. AD&D, Shadowrun & the White Wolf game system!!!!!!

Once had a project manager who decided to list all the project code names as monsters from AD&D, primarily devils and demons. I piped up as to whether he as a gamer, the other possibility being a satan worshiper. Guess I got lucky as he was a gamer!!!

Comment

AD&D

Still got my DMs Guide by Gary Gygax (always remember the name as it's so odd). It's about to be eBayed.

Nowadays I get my RPG fix with games like Neverwinter Nights and Oblivion.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Now real Geeks can go through this site and tick off the ones they have played

Oh, and don't forget Paranoia. Once of the best humour RPG's ever
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Anybody here who used to play Arctic?

Always fun at uni when stuck in a boring lecture with a computer nearby...

Latest one I have been playing about on is DDO, quite good fun when you have the time (Alas I don't atm)

Comment

Nah, but I did do stuff like using rpg material in course work to make it more interesting. Introduction to IT module was setting up Mech Warrior design templates in Excel to do all the weight and heat calculations for you.

Expert Systems was based on figuring out what monster was about to eat you using a database of attributes and abilities.

This is when I wasn't playing Nethack on the PDP-11 of course

BTW, in 15 years of playing I have never actually beaten Nethack. Closest I got was the final level when I got stomped by a bunch of Angels and Death.
              Last edited by DaveB; 5 October 2006, 12:43.

Comment

Adventure.

XYZZY

AtW disappears in a flurry of feathers.

Comment

Now this is one I never tried....

Panty Explosion: a psychic schoolgirl adventure game.

1st ed by Jake Richmond, Matt Schlotte (2006) Atarashi Games
                  A modern-day horror RPG about Japanese schoolgirls who secretly fight demons, some of whom have psychic powers.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                    Those of us who aren't code-monkeys were probably out playing football...
                    . . . or skateboarding. Anything to be outside, really.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

I played "Adventure" on a dumb terminal attached to an IBM mainframe at University. (As a Comp. Sci. student I was privileged to have access to a terminal, the engineers only got to use punch cards.)

After several years of salivating over the latest models (of computers) in magazines and looking forward to the games I could play on them, I was able to afford the first one I owned the year after I left university. I discovered I didn't like computer games, and have probably spent no more than 10 hours in my whole life playing them.

I think I would have enjoyed them when younger. As an adult I find them pointless. Even when I have nothing better to do with my time, I prefer sitting staring at the wall racking my brains for something to constructive to do to playing games. As an adult I also no longer wish to play chess, which I was good at when I was at school, and my attitude to reading fiction is similar to my attititude to games. In fact, if I've read 500 novels in my life, I would guess 400 of them were read before I left primary school.

For some reason I don't regard watching movies (on TV or DVD) as a waste of time though.
                      Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 5 October 2006, 12:57.

Comment

Working...
                      X