• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'I own 75 buy-to-let properties but I haven't deprived other buyers'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And yet there will be an endless queue of people willing to hand over an extra £2000 pa in interest to the bank, plus £500 to an accountant, rather than an extra £1000 in tax to HMRC

Comment

I still think that most BTL investors will weather the storm and cope with slimmer margins and constant occupancy, mainly because most of them got into it as a long term investment/pension, not as a rental profiteering game. As long as the rent is still paying for the house, they'll not force the issue and risk vacancies.
      Last edited by LondonManc; 7 September 2015, 19:33. Reason: typo. inb4 da nazis
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        I still think that most BTL investors will weather the storm and cope with slimmer margins and constant occupancy, mainly because most of them got into it as a long term investment/pension, not as a rental profiteering game. As long as the rent is still paying for the house, they'll not force the issue and risk vacancies.
        I hope you are right, though many may have done their calculations under the old regime and are too close to the edge.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          I hope you are right, though many may have done their calculations under the old regime and are too close to the edge.
          If I had any BTL properties, I'd suck it up. I see property as long game.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Rental income totals £330,000 per year. The cost of mortgage interest is £80,000 with maintenance, insurance and other expenses coming in at £100,000 to £120,000.

That gives a taxable annual profit of between £130,000 and £150,000.

His tax bill today is around £50,000. When the new taxes are fully applied he will pay an extra 32pc in tax, with his bill rising to almost £70,000.

He would then be paying a tax rate of 44pc. "

75 fooking properties, how is that sensible to do without wrapping them into Ltd?

Ah, that's because banks won't give lend to Ltds...
            So what's preventing him from selling the non-mortgaged portion of his empire to his own Ltd Co, possibly at a high price (to ensure that when property price do go up in the future ha can sell them back without an apparent CGT taxable profit)?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              If I had any BTL properties, I'd suck it up. I see property as long game.
              +1. Its not too late to get in. If I had any money I would.

Its a moral outrage that young people are denied house buying opportunities. But they don't vote. They just whine on social media. So f**k em.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Its a moral outrage that young people are denied house buying opportunities. But they don't vote. They just whine on social media. So f**k em.
                ^ This. Make money, help your own family. Fook the whining selfie-stick holding iCrap generation. We are replacing them with useful immigrants anyway

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  ^ This. Make money, help your own family. Fook the whining selfie-stick holding iCrap generation. We are replacing them with useful immigrants anyway
                  Those immigrants are far more likely to wipe my 4rse when I get into an old peoples home. And cheaper. Thank god the young ones are stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Those immigrants are far more likely to wipe my 4rse when I get into an old peoples home. And cheaper. Thank god the young ones are stupid.
                    Celebrity Big Brother, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, I am Cait.

The staple of the Instagram, @rsebook generation. Rent fodder for life.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                      So what's preventing him from selling the non-mortgaged portion of his empire to his own Ltd Co, possibly at a high price (to ensure that when property price do go up in the future ha can sell them back without an apparent CGT taxable profit)?
                      Two things:

1) he'll have to pay CGT on any capital appreciate he had
                      2) Ltd will have to pay stamp duty on full market value
                      3) where will newly formed Ltd find £ 6 mln to pay for property? Nobody will lend it that money

IMHO

Comment

Working...
                      X