• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Todays high paying contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of banks appear to run their project budgets Jan - Dec, hence now that we are in Q4 there is more constraint on what they can spend. This may also help to explain the lower number of contract vacancies at this time (certainly in my field).

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
      Do they get anybody for rates like that?
      Yup, it's usually the self taught guys that think they are coding gods, but usually don't have the first clue about anything. I've seen huge amounts of utter tulipe software by people like this that is usually fixed later on in it's life cycle by a competant contractor for a decent rate.

The problem is that most big corporations don't look to the future, each manager has his/her budget and won't go above it to make that program perfect for the job, but will happily underspend and make it a pile of crap just so that they can come in under budget and get a nice pat on the back from more senior beancounters....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
        Yup, it's usually the self taught guys that think they are coding gods, but usually don't have the first clue about anything.
        Yes.

It's funny how anyone with a pc (used to be a BBC B) and six months experience of basic thinks he/she/it is a Real Programmer.

Whereas it takes years to be competent at any engineering skill.

Comment

Thing is that proper engineers build things of value that stand the test of time. Programmers just shovel sh*t around until it meets a functional spec. Programming is like engineering with lego.

Comment

"Programming is like engineering with lego."

I have not managed to get past the Sticklebricks stage yet.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
              "Programming is like engineering with lego."

I have not managed to get past the Sticklebricks stage yet.

I'm still on Playdoh.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
              X