• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK net migration hits record high

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    We aren't full.

Go up North or to Wales. There are plenty of decaying buildings there.

If we had better planning and infrastructure then having more migrants wouldn't be an issue.....
    Why should we have "better" planning and infrastructure to make room for more immigrants and presumably just to please arrogant liberals like you. Why do we need more immigrants at all?

Am I a racist for saying UK is swamped with immigrants? Episode 132 | Jon Gaunt
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Why should we have "better" planning and infrastructure to make room for more immigrants and presumably just to please arrogant liberals like you. Why do we need more immigrants at all?

Am I a racist for saying UK is swamped with immigrants? Episode 132 | Jon Gaunt
      We need immigrants to do the tulip jobs British people won't do.

Not all immigrants stay here forever.

Ideally we plan to get the work and tax out of them, then for them to leave before they get old like many of my European friends' have done.

Funnily enough when I migrated to another country to work for a bit I got the same tulip you guys are voicing on this board. It was amusing because like you guys, people had a hard time understanding about skill levels and doing risky work.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Since I went to infant school with "foreign" born girls and know plenty of British men married to/having babies with "foreign" born women I take those statistics with a pinch of salt.
        Anecdotes are fine we all have some, some of us may feel our culture is being eroded. It may be great to have plenty of fast food choice but I dont see the cultural value in car napping, lead theft and begging, in erstwhile peacefull semi rural communities. We need quality not quantity
        Last edited by ZARDOZ; 27 August 2015, 21:47.

Comment

We need immigrants to do the tulip jobs British people won't do.

Not all immigrants stay here forever.

Ideally we plan to get the work and tax out of them, then for them to leave before they get old like many of my European friends' have done.

Funnily enough when I migrated to another country to work for a bit I got the same tulip you guys are voicing on this board. It was amusing because like you guys, people had a hard time understanding about skill levels and doing risky work.
          Where are the facts to support this? I am afraid I totally disagree. The sh*t jobs are those that pay very little. in gateshead they recruited over 400 Polish bus drivers even though there were 10,000 local unemployed capable of doing the jobs. pay was £6.00 per hour and local people were paid too much in benefits to want to do the work. Net result - 10,000 people still unemployed, low wages for bus drivers continued with no one entering into the career and extra services required to support the new workers many of who have brought families to the UK.

Had they instead removed/reduced benefits and stopped immigration then wages would have been higher and local unemployment would have reduced. A much better outcome to the predicament.

instead people like you are endorsing open doors migration which has no benefit whatsoever for indigenous workers. It serves only to make it expedient for government to not have to improve education and training , not grasp the welfare nettle and to enable employers to take an easy and cheap option that ignores local people.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

And then the Polish drivers will get tax credits to top up the low wage.

This "jobs people dont want to do" is a smokescreen you never heard it 20 yrs ago. Just lower benefits/pay in vouchers and stop companies expecting the taxpayer to subsidise low paying employment for subsets of the workforce. Result a higher takeup of manual labour jobs
            Last edited by ZARDOZ; 27 August 2015, 22:16.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
              And then rhe Polish drivers will get tax credits to top up the low wage.

This jobs people dont want to do is a smokescreen you never heard it 20 yrs ago. Just lower benefits and stop companies expecting the taxpayer to subsidise low paying employers
              What we are actually doing is adding to our population rather than using immigration to benefit us. very very few immigrants come here with "skills shortage" skills. They come here and compete for unskilled and semi skilled jobs. What is worse any extra investment in infrastructure only comes when pressures begin to mount. Furthermore much of the money that is earned is not spent on UK services and goods. it is sent back to the home countries of the immigrants.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                What we are actually doing is adding to our population rather than using immigration to benefit us. very very few immigrants come here with "skills shortage" skills. They come here and compete for unskilled and semi skilled jobs. What is worse any extra investment in infrastructure only comes when pressures begin to mount. Furthermore much of the money that is earned is not spent on UK services and goods. it is sent back to the home countries of the immigrants.
                Must be going mad because I agree with you. We dont need more unskilled labour. We need to encourage more UK people into manual/semi skilled jobs through carrot and stick. We do not have a supply problem, other than an artificial one borne out of politics and lobbying. A points based entry system like Australia is the only one which makes any sense.

Comment

I'm not at all surprised about the latest data. The Tories have pretended to want to 'control' immigration, but really they are fully behind mass immigration. People who voted Conservative and thought that some action might be taken actually voted for even more demented levels of immigration than we were getting from Labour, who really threw the doors open when they got elected in 97. They will soon forget that they've been duped and go along to vote Conservative again when the next electoral circus comes to town.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
                    And then the Polish drivers will get tax credits to top up the low wage.

This "jobs people dont want to do" is a smokescreen you never heard it 20 yrs ago. Just lower benefits/pay in vouchers and stop companies expecting the taxpayer to subsidise low paying employment for subsets of the workforce. Result a higher takeup of manual labour jobs
                    The "jobs people don't want to do" argument is bogus. Employers enjoy the cheap availability of Labour while the indigenous people who would have been candidates for those jobs are out-priced. There are plenty of unemployed people who would be interested in those jobs. That's the reality, but leftards put forward a rather nasty and condescending argument that a) indigenous people are too proud or lazy to do certain jobs, and b) we should therefore import third worlders as some sort of peasant-class to do all the terrible jobs that British people are too good for.

Comment

Two million Brits live in other EU countries:
                      https://euobserver.com/social/123066

Are they all coming back when the UK leaves the EU?

Comment

Working...
                      X