• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we will see $35 maybe even $30. Not a time to buy oil shares IMHO.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Or maybe $45, and then you've missed the boat.

You see this is the point you can't call the bottom. So what you do is you buy tranches.

When the stock market goes down 10-20% you buy, often it pops back up again, if it drops a further 10-20% you buy more etc.

That's how you make money on the stock market.

You don't sit there waiting for a crash, otherwise you might end up feeling very frustrated waiting 10 years for the crash to arrive, and in the meantime your cash has been erroded.

Basically you stay invested all the time but profit take in the good times and buy in the bad times.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 24 August 2015, 10:04.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
        A mate of mine on contract with KBR (oil and gas) got his one week notice today. He's got his fingers crossed the oil price bounces back pretty soon, otherwise his wife's gonna be all over him (in more ways than one).
        It's a bloodbath in the Upstream industry at the moment.

ClientCos are only interested in cost-cutting right now, so even the few gigs available are at rates 20-40% lower than 12 months ago. Many of the permies who've been laid off are looking for stop-gap contracts as well as perm roles, which is pushing rates down even further.

Even if the price does bounce up in the near future (which no-one I speak to inside the industry believes will happen,) the ClientCos are using this as an excuse to push rates to the bottom.

Other than that, everything is rosy

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
          It's a bloodbath in the Upstream industry at the moment.

ClientCos are only interested in cost-cutting right now, so even the few gigs available are at rates 20-40% lower than 12 months ago. Many of the permies who've been laid off are looking for stop-gap contracts as well as perm roles, which is pushing rates down even further.

Even if the price does bounce up in the near future (which no-one I speak to inside the industry believes will happen,) the ClientCos are using this as an excuse to push rates to the bottom.

Other than that, everything is rosy
          Yep its utterly unpleasant and there isn't a solution in site (Saudi want money at any price, the shale gas providers may as well continue producing for the same reasons). The North Sea is an expensive place to produce oil so no option is pleasant and all anyone can do is cut costs to the absolute bone...
          Last edited by eek; 24 August 2015, 10:18.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I think 40 is going to be the new high. Saudis pumping in more to keep prices low and bankrupt new US shale companies, with low output from China, hence low usage.

I think it's an add though but I don't see it moving for a few years and then not back to the 600s
            US not hurting as much as expected on this - Colombia are really suffering.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Upstreaming earnings at Shell have crashed. If Shell only had upstream activities it would have gone bankrupt. i.e. earnings 80% down, however earnings on it's downstream activities have soared, this means instead making a loss, they're simply making "slightly less profit" than last year.

If oil were to stay down for the longterm, it's clear they'll just expand their downstream activities.

It's just simply an undervalued company
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

And we're up. Which is surprising based on China drop overnight, but hey ho. None of my targeted shares low enough yet.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                  X