• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed - missus wants a shop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    People who knit don't have electricity yet, let alone the Internet....
    I'm not sure that's accurate.

What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
      Sorry I know nothing about running shops. But be aware you will be in competition with that there Internet.
      Indeed if people have the patience to knit they can wait for wool & Patterns from Amazon.

as mentioned above you need to do something they can't get on the internet e.g. a Knitting club.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Is it currently profitable?

Knit some sledges, MF says they sell like hot cakes.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Ok Boyz

I know what to look for from a common sense point of view, but what insight can youse give me regarding the hidden pitfalls of taking over a shop.
          A while ago someone wrote a hilarious book detailing the manifold reasons NOT to want to own and run a pub these days :

So You Want a Boozer

Although the title doesn't ring any bells, it may be someone has written a similar book "So You Want a Wool Shop"

Seriously, it sounds like something that might be better done more informally via word of mouth, and perhaps cash in hand.

Why not? All you'll get from doing it officially is a load of gyp and wilful obstruction from every branch of officialdom, from the local council to HMR&C
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 19 August 2015, 15:43.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X