• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed - missus wants a shop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Ok Boyz

I know what to look for from a common sense point of view, but what insight can youse give me regarding the hidden pitfalls of taking over a shop.
    We need someone who ran a shop, and then sucked at it so badly they had to pack it in and go and work in the states. Mmmmmmmm, where to find such a CUKer.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Intel View Post
      Knit twit?
      Knitpicker?
      The knights who say knit?

and yes, I'm here all week.....
      listen ball bag. If I want to keep the existing name, will it cost me ?
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        We need someone who ran a shop, and then sucked at it so badly they had to pack it in and go and work in the states. Mmmmmmmm, where to find such a CUKer.
        don't say his name. else I wil gobbest thou
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Depends if you have a balaclava, screwdriver, crowbar and can run faster than the local plods
          Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Originally posted by Intel View Post
            Depends if you have a balaclava, screwdriver, crowbar and can run faster than the local plods

yes, yes, yes, hic no
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Does anyone have experience of taking over a shop cold. no experience

The missus has been fed up for a while now with her high flying nursing gig
              she aint a spring chicken, so the time has come for some indulgence

she is accomplished with the sewing machine, quilting, crochet and knitting
              so she wants to combine the hobby with the business

a wool shop has come up for grabs 7.5k leashold

so if you run a shop

1. What would her employment status be ?
              2. Accountant required ?
              3. Solicitor ?
              4. Shop name ? buying existing stock ?
              5. Goodwill ?
              6. Tax liabilities ?
              7....what havn't I thought of ?
              My Mrs opened a shop (with my help/money) three years ago. We did it (along with an in law) to kind of but not exactly, replace a shop that closed down, due to the owner going bust. He had several shops dotted around the highlands and islands. Since then, we've expanded to the point where the current premises is starting to become a limitation. We've also bought out the other relation and I spend about 1/2 my time buying etc.

Anyway, so....

1. Your choice, sole trader, form a Ltd
              2. Depends largely on 1. You can do books and have them checked by a book keeper rather than an accountant or trust yourself via SA in sole trader.
              3. Depends, are you buying leasehold ?
              4. Whatever you like. Buying current stock from a failing business should be done with a very hard arsed negotiating stance. Suggest offering 1/3 of current wholesale value.
              5. Not really worth a f**k
              6. See 1 & 2.
              7. Not sure about how small premises rates work in England, but bear them in mind and ensure you know what it's going to cost. Also, water is fecking expensive (even up here) even if you have a hand basin and bog. Electricity contracts need a bit of negotiating.

I've had a few shops over the years, so feel free to PM if you need anything else.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Ripping Yarns?

Balls to you

Knit one Buy one

good luck
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

That could be a good product in a wool shop

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    My Mrs opened a shop (with my help/money) three years ago. We did it (along with an in law) to kind of but not exactly, replace a shop that closed down, due to the owner going bust. He had several shops dotted around the highlands and islands. Since then, we've expanded to the point where the current premises is starting to become a limitation. We've also bought out the other relation and I spend about 1/2 my time buying etc.

Anyway, so....

1. Your choice, sole trader, form a Ltd
                    2. Depends largely on 1. You can do books and have them checked by a book keeper rather than an accountant or trust yourself via SA in sole trader.
                    3. Depends, are you buying leasehold ?
                    4. Whatever you like. Buying current stock from a failing business should be done with a very hard arsed negotiating stance. Suggest offering 1/3 of current wholesale value.
                    5. Not really worth a f**k
                    6. See 1 & 2.
                    7. Not sure about how small premises rates work in England, but bear them in mind and ensure you know what it's going to cost. Also, water is fecking expensive (even up here) even if you have a hand basin and bog. Electricity contracts need a bit of negotiating.

I've had a few shops over the years, so feel free to PM if you need anything else.

Excellent.

no need to PM. I'm not shy , and its all good knowledge.

So what is the difference between a Leasehold and Rates ????
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Excellent.

no need to PM. I'm not shy , and its all good knowledge.

So what is the difference between a Leasehold and Rates ????
                      Business rates are payable on all commercial property (the business equivalent of council tax). There may be reductions or bonuses in the area, so check with the council. For example, in Jockland, if your rateable value is under £8K, you get 100% relief.

If you're buying the leasehold, all you are doing is paying for the title to the remainder of the lease, so there will still be rent to pay too.
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X